1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

0.5% likely my next car

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by CJ, May 29, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

:)

I think you and the fam will fit nicely it that one...

3. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

And if you drive it like a grandmother it will get even better gas mileage than your 5 ;)

Andrew
    Good luck with that

4. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

LOL. In my dreams, that *is* my next car :) It's not as expensive as it looks ;)

5. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

I drove one of those. Way too small, too noisy, and the suspension is too stiff. But I'm old. Around here there are several used ones for sale between $30 and $40K.

6. cjd

cjd New Member

That IS my next toy car, unless I find something I prefer by the time I have a place to garage it. :)

Except different color. Why so boring on such a fun little car. :)

C

7. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Says the man who drives an S-class ;) Which is way too big, too quiet and feels reminiscent of a row-boat in the ocean (Well ok, maybe not the last part) :D

Actually I'm only half kidding, I remember when one of the car rags did a comparison test that had a Lotus in it along with the Mazda Speed Miata, Cobra kit-car and the Honda S2000, one of the memorable comments was something along the lines of comparing the S2000 to the Lotus and that the Honda was judged to be too soft and practical compared to the Lotus. That alone said a lot to me as the S2000 is fairly stiff and has pretty much no room at all in it.

8. BlakeG

BlakeG New Member

I owned an Exige for about 6 months. I had a blast in it -- although it was not my daily driver. I do not think that I could have handled it every day. Although blasts down Highway 9 and Skyline and the like were quite fun, it was not even practical as a 'weekend' car for me and my wife because we go away for quite a few long weekends and there is not enough room for two peoples stuff + anything that my wife decides to buy when we are away.

Took it to a few autocrosses though, and even though I am a shit driver it sure is a blast to throw around. Had more fun at Laguna Seca and Infineon though -- got lucky on some track time at both of those and it really shined.

Chris -- have you ever driven one? I know that you have/had an ACR -- this makes that look and feel like a Town Car -- at least compared to the one ACR that I have been in.

Great car though, both for the money and for the very narrow focus that it was designed for.

Blake

9. I like the Mazda RX-8 :)

10. Shane

Shane Active Member

I like the Rx8 except it's gutless in the power department and the maintenance on a rotary is awful. They drink oil like a Suburban drinks gas.

11. DYohn

Hey now, it's a CLS. The S-class is next year's purchase. :)

12. DYohn

I HATE those. Not the looks which are kinda cool, and I've never driven one, but try working on the stereo system. Those cars are a nightmare for an installer!!

13. OK

I will have to move up to a Porsche 911 :)

14. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

They drink gas in a suburban like way as well.

There is a reason why rotory fans are called rotards :D

cough-cough built on s-class platform cough-cough :D

Going for the extended wheelbase S600? I love S-classes, pretty much my ideal car for doing the hypothetical NY to LA drive, fast, doesn't attract attention, very comfortable, etc.

I was actually quite shocked at the prices of used 911's, you can pick up a late model 911 with either a little factory warranty or the CPO warranty on it for the same/less than you can pick up a new Elise for.

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I'd get one, they sure look cool.

16. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I test drove an RX-8. Fun to drive, but you never get that thrown back in your seat kind of acceleration.

17. DYohn

S600 would be nice, but it's way out of my league. :) I'm actually looking at an '04 S-55 AMG that I happen to know will be available in early '08.

The new Porsche Cayman is a very nice compromise between the 911 and the Boxster. One of our guys just bought one and it rides really nice. I also like the new BMW Z4 Coupe hardtop.

18. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

David:

Quite screwing around and get an M5.

19. DYohn

Hmm, I wonder if there is an M- version of the Z4? :)

20. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

There is (Z4 M Roadster), starts around $50k or so, performs a bit better than a Boxster S. There is also a coupe version available (Z4 M Coupe).

Andrew