Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by stephenj, Jun 23, 2007.

1. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

in a nutshell: not a bad film, but not as good as the tomato-meter would have one believe it is. i'm a john cusak fan and he's fine here, as is sam jackson. but the movie lives or dies on how much terror/tension can be generated in room 1408, and the answer is: not all that much. pretty pedestrian stuff.

5/10 stars

2. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I'd give it about the same. It's worth a few scares, but overall it's meh.

3. CJ

CJ Bronze Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

This actually looks interesting but I just can't tolerate scary films any more. I'm a puss.

4. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

I'm looking forward to seeing this, hopefully tomorrow night. Looks like a good horror movie. I do have a question for people who have seen it:

[spoiler:952577bf29]From what I understand, the whole idea is that no one has survived an hour in the hotel room and John Cusack's character is determined to do so. Is the hour shot in real time like Nick of Time or 24? Of course, I could have misunderstood that part of the movie[/spoiler:952577bf29]

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I will for sure rent it when it hits this fall....

6. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

in a word, sort of. :)

7. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

[spoiler:0f1319d928]Not having seen it I'm guessing there's some kind of time bending, like he's in there for hours and when he finally escapes, completely drained, the people outside think he's only been in there for 1 minute...[/spoiler:0f1319d928]

8. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

[spoiler:54de2b386e]IMO there was nothing special about how the time worked. There are some good scary moments nothing, nothing eerie really to me, just makes you jump and scream JFC! And since this is in spoiler text.....[/spoiler:54de2b386e]

[spoiler:54de2b386e]by the time you are done reading this, you'll realize it doesn't say anything :p [/spoiler:54de2b386e]

9. Yep, it'll just be a rental for me.

10. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Against our better judgment my wife and I saw this Saturday night. While we both enjoyed the film overall, it completely solidified our view that we cannot take this any more. There were parts that I simply did not enjoy because I was too tense. When its all over you can look back and judge the quality of the movie, but while its playing I almost want to walk out because I can't take this shit any more.

11. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

LOL... my wife hates horror movies, always has, so I don't watch too many. One weekend she was out at an art fest, and I rented Descent. Halfway through the movie I started to realize that watching a horror movie all alone in a house where I'll have to sleep alone that night... not a good idea :) After the movie I went and turned on all the lights and stuff.

Yeah.. I like to think that I like horror movies, but I'm a pussy when it comes to this stuff too.

12. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

We're the same way, because I was like, lets wait and rent it because if we don't like it we can just not watch it and return it. My wife was like... if you think we're watching that in our HOUSE where we sleep.... :D