18 inch Dayton Sub Kit

Discussion in 'DIY Lounge' started by Mike B, May 19, 2017.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Is in the works;

34630109931_1cb78ae0cd_o.jpg

Kit parts arrived in good shape, no chips. Braces gluing to rear baffle. I made the grill before the box;

34630108591_a1b1cb3f70_o.jpg

Made of solid Mahogany from Home Depot and stained black. More work tomorrow;

34761624175_0e81d92b8e_o.jpg

2. Mike B

5 sides on;

34620088512_71ce96bbcc_o.jpg

2 more to go (double baffle) then on to laminating and painting the face baffle.

This is going to be a little smaller than what I have, but not much.

3. Mike B

No more down firing sub, I'm looking forward to watching my woofer woof!

34399206720_8a95d46f09_o.jpg

4. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

lookin' good in the neighborhood dude.....
    Still planing on the glossy black Formica laminate?
    I've used Wilson Art in the past, at the time they had
    a thinner Vertical grade...seems/corners were nearly noticeable.
    Are ya gonna move the other sub to another area...behind a couch or chair?
    with your open concept home maybe sorta in the kitchen as a Side Table.

5. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Looks good. I was making some dust the other day and made the mistake of only measuring once so now I have to cut twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil Rose likes this.
  6. Mike B

Hey Carl, yup I think that's what I have, a full sheet of Wilson Art thin (.018") glossy.

The other box will be cut up and tossed. This house is saturated. Something new in means something else has to go.

It's been through a lot of flux moving family members in and out and now fluxing again with Kelly moving in with her stuff.

Life. A never ending flux of changes.

7. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Good for you man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Just make sure that grill is not pressing on the surround. :)

9. Mike B

Yeah, already got that worked out. Everything is 3/4" mahogany, 3/4" dia dowels and 3/4" thick struts. I'll use hurricane nuts and 4 machine screws to mount and make spacers from the leftover 3/4" dowel. That should provide the needed clearance as well as a solid rigid mount that won't rattle or vibrate loose.

DYohn likes this.
  10. Mike B

Set the baffle down and put the woofer in the hole and then raised the baffle with bricks so I could mark the screw holes and drill 'em on the drill press so they will be square.

34418153050_63f7472ae9_o.jpg

Yup, there's just something special about an eighteen incher eh? They're friggin' huge - :)

11. Rick C

Rick C Member

Glad to see you have some solid help as you put the driver in place!

Project is coming along well.

12. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Where'd you get that tiny Coke can?

13. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

That's quite a woofer (both of them!)

14. Mike B

Oh yeah, you sit down on the floor and the dog will get close. You are on her turf and that's where play happens and dogs generally love to play. She is smart though, she sees I'm busy with something and just hangs. Happily chewing a cow hoof.

15. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Another great build as usual Mike. Before I got my PSA 15, I figured the bigger the driver, the more havoc it would cause to the house you play it in. The PSA goes very deep, but it's a much more subtle bottom than I expected, especially with music. It does raise hell with movie explosions. Do you expect your 18 to do similar, subtle, deep low end? Not sure I'm expressing my thoughts the right way.

16. Mike B

It's in a big box, a little bigger than ideal, Qts is .6, F3 about 44 Hz but it has a really slow rolloff and is only down 11 dB at 20 Hz. The amp has adjustable bass boost (6 dB max) so I could make it flat to 30.

Not worried though, small room and I already run the old Adire 18 inch Maelstrom in a 4.5 cu-ft box. That box was built when I didn't know as much about building speaks as I do now and it is not braced well. I've seen the top of the box vibrating a quarter inch.

The amp is a plate amp but it's not built into the woofer, it's on the side of my stand so the controls are easily adjusted.

17. Mike B

Just glued on the inner baffle.

34446456070_8aedb72b95_o.jpg

It's hot here, 95F and glue sets fast in this heat. Lay down a line and brush it flat then do the other piece and the first one is getting dry.

Now onto sealing the face baffle with poly, sanding and painting. Me thinks I'll seal it and sand it and paint it one coat and then glue it after I get the box laminated. Then mask off the edge and finish paint the baffle.

18. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

You going to be able to move it by yourself after its done? I legitimately hurt my back moving my PSA.

19. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Give yourself a few more years. My Dayton Audio Titanic I moved out into the garage (I used a hand truck most of the way - damaged by lightning) is about 10-12 lbs. heavier than my PSA sub I just got. I have a few heavy pieces of equipment I dread having to move.

20. Mike B

Hehe. I was having "stove dread" a few times. Like why did I do this again? Because I want a shiny-glossy sub of course. With no amplifier in it either.

Sometimes you just have to DIY - :)

This is only a hundred pounds (before finish) so maybe a 110 when done and I have a hand truck too. Not to mention I've been building the thing on a dolly.

This also reminded me of why I hate MDF. I didn't have to cut it, but just drilling and sanding is bad enough. The stuff just stinks and the dust is horrible.