1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

360 Dashboard Update

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Mike Parent, May 10, 2007.

1. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

I have not downloaded it yet.

Impressions from those who have?

2. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

I like that the tray shows what you have in it. Also when you highlight the tray, the info box on the right of the screen shows the game, your gamerscore for that game, and your most recent achievements. Nice.

Marketplace hasn't really changed other than it has it's own Blade now which makes sense.

Another cool thing is when you unlock an achievement in game, it shows the actual name of the achievement and how many gamerpoints it's worth. Nice. :)

Moving through the blades 'seems' a little faster, but not sure if that's true or not.

3. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

I think my favourite so far is the little arrow in your Friends list next to their online icon that shows if they are in a joinable game or not - nice touch.

Also here is some good info on what changes to video playback capabilities have been made

4. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Isnt't there supposed to be a way to setup the system to auto shutdown after kicking off a download? I havn't figured that out yet.

I often kick off downoads of larger demos and then shut down the HT and just leave the 360 running while it downloads. It would be nice to have it shut down at the end of those downloads.

5. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Yes, I believe if you go into system setup you will see that feature.

6. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

Apparently there are some new video settings in system now also...

7. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

How about the audio fix for the HD-DVD playback and everything else? It sucks knowing that I'm playing all of my games in Dolby Digital with "Night Mode" turned on at max. compression by default. :roll:

-Dennis

8. That fix is available as well as the fix for the DVD upconversion to our HDTVs - Click Here to Get the Microsoft Solution

:lol: :? :shock: :( :cry:

9. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

YARRGHH!! :lol:

But the truth of the matter is- even the Elite system doesn't ship with the HD-DVD audio fix- it's supposedly coming with an update any day now according to Amir over at AVS (this is old info. though- it's definitely taken a lot longer than he implied back in Dec. 06!)

Here's hoping the fix is real and coming very very soon. After all- the Matrix is coming in a couple of weeks and I would love to get the great sound to go with the sure-to-be amazing image.

-Dennis

10. Shane

Shane Active Member

It won't happen for component. It's HDMI or VGA only. Why anyone would use it for upconversion is a bigger mystery. The player sucks for that purpose.

11. Shane,
    Are you sure the XBox 360 has an HDMI connection? I thought my only choices were component and VGA?

As for it being a quality HD or SD player... egad, I agree, no way Jose. I bought the HD add for $159 out of curiosity... but now that I have it, it would be convenient to be able to play back upconverted DVDs on it too without needing to add an Oppo to my gameroom system. In the end, I guess it really doesn't matter though since only the kids watch movies up there anyway. If I used this as my primary DVD player though, I'd probably feel ripped off now that MS decided to sell a "new and improved" Xbox 360 rather than fix the deficiencies of the old one.

Thanks again for the info.

12. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

It's my primary DVD player :) Probably fits in very well with the speakers I'm contemplating :) I mostly use it for DVDs so I can get by with running only one cable around the room.

13. Shane

Shane Active Member

The Elite does. If you didn't buy the Elite, then you are restricted to VGA only.

14. Yeah, that sucks, but I trusted MS and made the best decision I could at that time with the info I had that MS gave us. Oh well, live and learn. :(