1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

360 HD DVD add on audio fix released

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Shane, May 15, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

2. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II New Member

Yes...and what a big difference it actually makes!

Kong Freakin' Rocks!

3. Wow... great news. Thanks Shane for posting it.

Gonna be busy downloading the update AND Halo 3 beta... :)

4. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

Why did they bury the fix in the player software? I played one of my "Planet Earth" disks last night, and it downloaded a pretty hefty patch for HD-DVD- and I got all excited that it was the audio update. Then I checked the System settings blade, and there's nothing threre. Now I'm reading it's in the player software- a very very poor decision, IMO.

That said, I'll try it out tonight and see how well it works... :)

-Dennis

5. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II New Member

I've read that the results of the patch are good but that outputting to DD may actually yield the best results.

I haven't tried this yet as my son is battling the Borg on my Xbox 360 right now but will report back when I get a chance.

6. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

Works great so far- it's literally a night and day difference (no pun intended). MI:3 is "only" a DD+ track and my Outlaw 950 doesn't do DD+, but to my ears it sounds fan-freaking-tastic. I only tried outputting DD- don't know what difference it would make converting DD to DTS- but perhaps others will chime in on the advantage- I can't imagine there is any since you are starting from a DD compressed bitstream, then converting using another compression scheme (DTS)- if anything you could potentially LOSE more sonic information as can happen converting from MP3 to AAC or vise versa since each method throws out different parts of the original to achieve the smaller file size.

-Dennis

7. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

People are reporting very nice results with WMA Pro. If you have a WMA Pro capable receiver, that may be the way to go.

8. BrandonH

BrandonH New Member

I have a Pioneer receiver that supports WMA Pro, and that option sounded very good with King Kong, I flipped back and forth between that and DTS and both me and my wife thought WMA Pro sounded better. I haven't even tried the fixed Dolby Digital option yet because WMA Pro sounded so good.

BrandonH