1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

90% likely my next car..

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Shane, May 26, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

You are probably expecting a Ferrari or a dream car but this is my next car.
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=119327

[​IMG]
    New for 2008. Jetta TDI using a common rail 50 state legal diesel engine. Mercedes has the same engine except larger displacement but VW can't use the "Blu Tec" name.

For those wondering about reliability, my understanding thus far reading indicates that their Diesel cars are a different league than their standard cars. I'll be following that closely as well as the time comes.

140hp is plenty and 240lb ft torque is more than enough. 6 speed manual tranny. They say it averages 45-50 mpg on the highway. Mid 30's in the city. That suits my needs and budget. Diesel pricing is odd around here. Right now gas is $3.16 and diesel is $2.70. When gas was ~$2, diesel was right there with it. Size wise it's big enough for my family and any future family if we go that route.

For $22-$25k loaded, I'm following this one closely. I don't want a Prius(the 2nd best option). I really want a manual tranny again.

50 mpg is surely more tempting than the 14 I'm getting now.

2. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

That looks really nice. For years I have wanted my next car to be a Mustang. But after learning about the awful milage they get (no better then a full sized pick-up) I may change my tune.

Does this car make the people behind you gasp for air? If so, I would never buy a deisel. When I get stuck behind a school bus or a truck with diesel fumes, I pull off the road and wait a few minutes.

Stefan

3. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Nice V-Dub!!!

4. cjd

cjd New Member

Yes, the diesels are good.

I think the transmissions are different too, though I'm not sure. That's one of VW's biggest problem areas IIRC.

You able to do biodiesel?

C

5. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Good choice Shane. The new Jetta is quite a nice looking thing too.

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

Probably not biodiesel. I haven't seen biodiesel stations here and I won't be doing any DIY efforts there.

7. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Does Tulsa offer new low-sulfur diesel fuel as required by these engines? I've never dealt with a diesel engine so I have no clue how readily available it is here or across the country if you did road trips.

8. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

VW TDI Diesel...is a sweet ride!

9. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Very nice. Congrats in advance!

10. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Seriously considering a TDI Jetta or Jetta wagon as a family hauler, if/when a child comes along.

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

Alfer,
    Pretty common in fact it's a requirement by 2010.

I'm not looking to save the environment but the fuel economy plus the reliability of a diesel is what's driving me that way. My friends' Mercedes has over 480,000 miles on it and that's not an exception.

We'll still have a gas guzzling Jeep of some sorts for a 2nd car. My wife will never go any other way.

12. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I just hope VW has done a quick 180 on reliability..as you know they are probably one of the worst as far as reliability goes right down there with the Mercedes, Jaguar's and Chrysler's etc... Maybe this will be their turnaround car.

On a side note, I took you to be the type looking for a more flashy designed car?

13. Shane

Shane Active Member

Nope.

It's sporty enough looking to suit my ego. All I require now is an ipod input, great mileage, a manual transmission and a good ride.

14. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Good for you Shane. IMO, the next huge wave in the US will be diesel cars. Much of the rest of the world has already figured out that diesel is probably the best way to reduce oil consumption. For example, 40% of new cars sold in Europe are diesel. Diesel may not be quite as environmentally friendly as a hybrid (although some argue it is), but it's equally as energy efficient and all the necessary technology already exists.

Diesel prices are a mystery. For much of the country, diesel costs more than gasoline, which makes no sense given that diesel requires less energy to produce.

15. Jason Lorette

A question I've asked for years...

VW's aren't reliable? We have owned a golf for the last 3 years and not had anything major occur to it...and it's 6 years old. My Dad owns a 2001 VW Jetta that still gets 1000 kms on a tank of diesel. My family has also owned other VW products in the 80's and 90's with great results...you can beat the hell out of them...especially the diesel's.

I'm confused by the statement that VW's aren't reliable?

Jason

16. Alfer

Alfer New Member

VW's have had a horrible reputation for being quite unreliable for several years now...many of their brand models rank very low in reliability survey's etc..almost every car review I've seen online or in magazines always allude to the poor reliability VW has....Diesel's may be totally different and help boost their ratings upward.

17. Shane

Shane Active Member

Right now Diesel is cheaper by a good margin.

Diesel ranges in the $2.65 range while gas is $3.19

As gas was down near $2, then diesel still remained slightly higher. IF gas remains >$2.90 a gallon then diesel will be atleast $.25 a gallon cheaper.

FWIW, I did check on biodiesel. We don't have any biodiesel pumps here at all. No real surprise.

18. Alfer

Alfer New Member

How do diesels do in winter? I remember mom's Buick Diesel and it didn't like winter weather at all..start up troubles etc. I'm sure that was due to older technology though.

19. Jason Lorette

Diesel tech has worked on that for a long time and most Diesel's are comparable to their gas counterparts.

I remember the old 'glow plugs' on an old rabbit my dad had that were horrendous...but once that car was running (plugged in every night, had to have a block heater)...you couldn't kill it.

JL

20. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Yeah dad always had to plug his Buick in..a real pain that car was...not to mentio the smoke and stink it put off. :)