A brilliant bargain basement DIY project

Discussion in 'DIY Lounge' started by Denton, May 21, 2007.

1. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I do not know the man that built these speakers. But I can't help admiring what he's done. The drivers appear to be a TangBand 871 and a Dayton neo tweeter. I don't know what the crossover looks like. It could even be a simple capacitor. A Sonic T-Amp and an MP3 player finishes the system. A variant would probably go great in an office, although I don't think I'd choose pink. :)

Speakers010.jpg

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Active Member War Zone Member

Denton,

That's definitely not the 871; the cone is not silver. It looks to be one of the bamboo cone models. See how the screws recess slightly into the frame? The 871 has a stamped steel frame so the screws aren't recessed at all. It also looks like it may be a 4" driver instead of a 3".

BTW, sorry for not calling you this weekend. My wife had a bit of a medical scare. But all's well now. If you're going to be in town maybe I can call this weekend?

3. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

Pretty cool. Not sure about the choice of finish color... Guess they're chick speakers.

-EJ

4. Shane

Shane Active Member

Are those Mike Knapp's? :D

5. Denton

Actually the guy built two sets. Pink for the daughter and oak (?) stain for the son. These are apparently pre-teens.

6. Denton

Brian:
    You can call just about any time. BUT, I have tickets for Walter Trout on Saturday and it is out of town. I doubt I'll be crawling out of my crypt before at least noon. :wink: