1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

A brilliant bargain basement DIY project

Discussion in 'DIY Lounge' started by Denton, May 21, 2007.

1. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I do not know the man that built these speakers. But I can't help admiring what he's done. The drivers appear to be a TangBand 871 and a Dayton neo tweeter. I don't know what the crossover looks like. It could even be a simple capacitor. A Sonic T-Amp and an MP3 player finishes the system. A variant would probably go great in an office, although I don't think I'd choose pink. :)

Speakers010.jpg

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Active Member War Zone Member

Denton,

That's definitely not the 871; the cone is not silver. It looks to be one of the bamboo cone models. See how the screws recess slightly into the frame? The 871 has a stamped steel frame so the screws aren't recessed at all. It also looks like it may be a 4" driver instead of a 3".

BTW, sorry for not calling you this weekend. My wife had a bit of a medical scare. But all's well now. If you're going to be in town maybe I can call this weekend?

3. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

Pretty cool. Not sure about the choice of finish color... Guess they're chick speakers.

-EJ

4. Shane

Shane Active Member

Are those Mike Knapp's? :D

5. Denton

Actually the guy built two sets. Pink for the daughter and oak (?) stain for the son. These are apparently pre-teens.

6. Denton

Brian:
    You can call just about any time. BUT, I have tickets for Walter Trout on Saturday and it is out of town. I doubt I'll be crawling out of my crypt before at least noon. :wink: