1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

A Little Off-Topic Ahem...

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Jason Lorette, May 15, 2007.

1. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

2. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Nice grill...and love the slippers!

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Nice...!

Today as a matter of fact I rolled out our old CharBroil grill and watched the garbage men haul it off...it got all corroded and nasty inside and I couldn't get parts so I trashed it.

I'm thinking of getting this Brinkman at Wally World

0003995351611_215X215.jpg

or this UniFlame they stock:

0072864927034_500X500.jpg

4. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Jason, I have the same grill except my grates are not Spidey style. They are still the cast iron or whatever they are and the rest of the grill is the same as yours. I got it at Walmart for under $200 this year before grill season took off. I have already replaced the gas tank once! I bought a bag of hickory sented bricks and placed around the burner. I have not noticed much in the way of flavor but it gets up to 500-600 much easier and once it is there it only drops a little when I open the top to flip something.

5. Jason Congrats on your new Grill - It is a Beauty!

My wife bought me a grill a little bit ago, and I am drawn to cook on it as often as I can. The grill was a display unit at a Target Store near where she works, and she continually bothered the store manager on when he was going to sell it and each time she pointed out to him every scratch and mar on the unit. In the end, it was missing a wheel(no biggie since I removed all the wheels), and she got it for an amazing $199. The mars are irrlevant since it is all stainless steel. I absolutely love it and with the included rotisserie option and infrared heating element, it makes fantastic yummy healthy rotisserie chicken.
    Here is a pic of my backyard love.

6. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Got a gas line to the patio in the new house, so gonna do natural gas and do away with the cans that need refilling. :)

7. Great idea Max!

We did that at our last home and the gas company ran the line for almost nothing.... (thumbs up)

8. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Nice looking grill. I need one myself, maybe next year.

I find natural gas to be not so good to cook with verses propane. Anyone else notice a difference?

9. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Max:

I too had a gas line installed. It might be different in FL but up north, I had to special order the barbecue - - the only models that are in stock are the ones which use propane.

10. No Chris.. but IS there a difference in the heat and released elements between them?

11. Eric

Eric Active Member

Yeah, I thought about that too. Right up until I talked to the builder. My new place has gas run to it, standard options run gas to the water heater and the clothes dryer. I ended up paying an extra $770 :shock: to get gas run to my stove. Hate to think about what it would have cost to run it out to my back porch. Then there's the problem of having to convert my Weber from propane to gas...

Real killer is that the builder claims that about $500 of that cost comes straight from the gas company. I seriously questioned them about that number, but they stood by it. Either way, I was absolutely floored. It was almost enough to get me to walk out the door.

Maybe I'll talk to the gas co after I move in. See what they quote me to run a line out back. Conversion kits for Weber's are readily available. Plus, I've heard the conversion is a pretty simple DIY for grills that don't have a kit available.. Just replacing or drilling out an orifice.

12. Eric,

My knowledge on this is dated... but the gas company gave both the builder and and post home owner very good incentives to move from electric to gas for their grills, outdoor lights and clothes dryers.

Our dryer is gas, and our gas grill is propane.. but we still get incentives from the gas company to let them install a gas grill. Maybe they need to sell you the grill to in order to put in the line for free or little bucks?

13. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I could probably look it up, but it seems to me that propane burns hotter. Flavor wise I didn't noice a difference, but it terms of the flame required I did notice a substantial difference.

14. Alfer

Alfer New Member

On a side note...I wonder how well the stainless on these will hold up...that's my one fear about getting one of these...I realize they use low grade SS but I'm pretty sure if you use a SS polish you could be ok...?

15. Good Point.. and if I paid $500 or so, I'd be worried, but the primary areas such as burners and grates(which I replaced twice on my previous grills) are the invincible SS quality(440?) parts.

If I had ONLY the parts made of this SS on my last grill, I'd still have it and for under $200, this was a no brainer. I LOVE it. :D

As an aside, I don't polish anything on my grills but do heat and scrape them prior to each use....

16. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Larry,
    The Natural Gas Version of the grill I want is 49 dollars more so I go from $999 to $1048 or something like that.

Burner temps are rated the same and it has an infer red burner for searing.

Eric,
    The cost of running the line was like $200 but they hit me up with a major cost for running the line to the Spa heater because it meant a bigger manifold so that one was like $550. So basically for what they wanted for your grill, they did my grill and the pool. :)

Max

17. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I just bought a grill too. Ducane, let see if I can find a picture

18. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

This thread makes me wish I knew how to cook!

19. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I found it

[​IMG]

20. Grilling IS.... outside... a man's world, birds in the sky, or stars bright at night...
    Grilling IS.... outside.... away from the bussle of family life inside the home...
    Grilling IS... outside... a chance for you to think, pause, and remove yourself from all else.... Grilling is relaxing while pretenting to do your wife a favor.....
    Grilling IS.... in the end equal to GOOD Food, plud potential Good Sex.

nouf said.

In the end... every 4 burner grill can be a 5 burner grill with the proper vocal preperation.