1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

A weekend in 2 channel bliss

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Shane, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

Last Saturday afternoon, a group of local 2 channel enthusiasts and myself got together in Broken Arrow(a suburb of Tulsa) to fellowship and listen to some music. I'm primarily a home theater guy so I was a little out of place.

Having heard the hosts' audio system before, I knew what I was about to hear but he had since improved it.

The hosts' system was in a room about 12 feet wide by 15 feet deep with a couch about 2 feet from the back wall as the primary seating. Speakers were on stands about 2 feet from the side walls and 2 feet or so from the back walls.

As far as equipment goes, it as all Audio Note. I'm a bit fuzzy on which models were in use.

An-E biwired ~ $3800 a pair
    Meridian CD player that was used maybe once.
    Audio Note copper cabling
    Audio note monoblock tube amps. Not sure of model number but they were $13k a pair new.
    Audio Note M2 preamp(pretty sure that is correct)
    Audio Note S8(?) Step Up Transformer($10k).
    Audio Note AN-TT Two Turntable(~$1,400) + arm and cart. The cart was one of 200.
    I saw a power conditioner and a few aftermarket cords there as well. No sub was used and frankly not necessary.

He stated that he didn't have any room treatments except the huge drapes covering the windows. I questioned if it would make positive differences but he just stated I should hear the system first.

When I listened, it was strictly vinyl and frankly I'm sold on the format. Granted I'm probably hearing it at the top end of the scale but I can't say I've ever heard CD sound this good or for that matter THIS REAL.

The realism is what it was all about. Literally you could close your eyes and feel that each singer was right in the room with you and you could easily pinpoint within the huge soundstage where exactly each person was standing. The speakers were literally non-existent.

There were a few pops and clicks as some of the recordings were from the 50's but I tuned that out quickly as the realism is what you focused on. Your ears essentially tuned the pops and clicks out.

Some of the better recordings I heard were:

Patsy Cline: Crazy 1950's recording.
    Ray Charles - no specifics but it all sounded fantastic
    Johnny Cash - 1950's recording. We heard several songs. Simply stunning.
    Yello: Oh Yeah. Is this the Yello song Mike Knapp uses as his demo?
    Violent Femmes: Self Titled. Track #2 Kiss Off.
    Elton John: Song and album escapes me at the moment

There was a bunch of other stuff but that list stood out to me. Next time I plan to bring some stuff they hadn't heard before.

As of now I think I have heard what I would call sonic nirvana.

Happy listening.

2. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

Sounds like you had a great time. I get the same feeling - especially about vinyl - when I'm fortunate enough to get an evening at Larry's listening room.

3. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

A major trend in audio, even two-channel audio, is boom and sizzle, and exaggerated sound. In contrast, vinyl, SET amps and a good 2-way speaker are about realism.

I'm glad you had such a great time Shane.

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Darn!! If I had known you were in my hood I would have alerted the authoritay's!

Glad ya had fun...

If I had a receiver with a phono input I'd pull out all my vinyl and give them a spin just to relive the old days of snap crackles and pops...

5. Shane

Shane Active Member

A side story: the gentleman who had us over showed us pictures from the Audio Note factory. Needless to say we all believe they are certifiable. Interesting place and people to say the least.

6. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Peter Qvortrup is a character with a capital "C." He also has what may be the best vinyl collection in the world.

7. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Shane glad you were able to make it...wish I didn't have to attend the wedding. :(
    His system is pretty darned nice. Did you guys drink more Belgium Ale?

8. Shane

Shane Active Member

His co-workers are characters as well. The main voice coil guy there has a trailer(more like a 5th wheel) parked out back and lives with 10+ sled dogs.

The vinyl collection was only partially on display at their main office. Apparently he has ran out of room at his main home.

9. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Uh yeah, you got that right. I met Peter many years ago when
    I bought some AudioNote gear (japan origin)...I'd have to say that
    I was a bit annoyed with the Audio Note Split up...ah business &
    politics. Nonetheless, he has his vision & his sound---nice sound.

Shane don't tell me you're an LA Dodger fan! How'd that Happen?
    And I always thought you were a nice level headed guy :lol:
    No St Loius for you....well at least you're not an American Leauge guy.
    I'm a Giant's fan....

10. Shane

Shane Active Member

I am. My next door neighbor for 15 or so years played SS for them. He also managed the team for a short period of time.

11. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

Sounds like a blast. I know you said you're a HT guy, but every so often you come up with a post like this. Are you a closet two channel nut? :twisted:

12. Shane

Shane Active Member

Slowly but surely Larry is assimilating me. It's part of the moderator hazing dunk tank.

13. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Don't listen to Larry, go listen to some speakers.

:D

14. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Shane

Shane Active Member

I listened to plenty, just ask Max. My speaker shopping experience was near legendary.

16. Chris White

Chris White New Member

I was almost positive Colton would have something to say about Shane being in the closet. :p

17. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now this confounds me. I don't know who this guy is, but he's obviously a bigshot in the audio community. Why in the name of heaven would he say something like this? According to my reasoning and limited experience, no matter how good a system you throw in a room, the room is still the room. If that system sounded fantastic in an untreated, it would sound doublely so in a treated room. I just understand the attitude. I don't expect any answers here, I'm just stating my bewhilderment. (?)

18. Shane

Shane Active Member

I was confused as well until I heard the system. I don't know how you could change it to make it better.

19. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Not necessarily. Speakers could be voiced with the assumption that they'll be in a somewhat lively room, so treating the room could end up with the speakers sounding worse. I don't consider it a universal truth that every system/room combination will always sound better when room treatments are added. Most of the time, yes. But not necessarily all the time.

20. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Nevertheless, it was Shane's duty as he walked out the door to mutter, "Sounds good considering the acoustical shortcomings of the room." :)