1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

AACS news

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by John F, May 17, 2007.

1. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I don't know what to say... this proves the silliness of trying to secure the content but this is why they're trying to secure the content in the first place.

3. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Hackers are starting to piss me off. If they keep doing this it will make the studios even less willing to sell high quality content and we all lose out. Or even worse, it will cause them to come up with even more protective measures that will begin to impact more and more of the regular users.

4. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

That is exactly what I was thinking.

I am sure that a more robust copy protection scheme can be concocted, but it will likely require some sort of "phone home" component.

The combination of hackers breaking existing DRM schemes and consumer willingness to follow the studios leads (even when there is no other consumer benefit) points towards more restrictive schemes being adopted, sold and accepted.

5. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Well, the music industry is going the other way. After realizing that DRM isn't working, they're starting to release DRM free media for a fair price, which is all anyone is asking for.

6. brianca

brianca New Member

This is why blu-ray is going to win, IMO.

7. cjd

cjd New Member

These companies and their lawyers are really starting to piss me off. Some day they're going to require I plug in and authenticate to look at the signs they've plastered along the road, or I won't be able to leave my garage. Some day they'll make me pay just to remember that time when I went to the movies or I'll get life in jail.

Thank goodness at least someone has the balls to take a stand against their shenanigans. Amazing how complacent this country has become, how willing to just quietly roll over and give up all the things the founders of this country gave up so much to gain.

C

8. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Chris, I agree. As long as we roll over and let asshole hacker thieves continue to circumvent legitimate attempts by artists and content owners to protect their property, we give up part of what this country was founded on. They must be stopped.

9. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

You may be right. The BD exclusive studios are counting on the consumer to accept more stringent copy protection then the alternate format while not providing any other consumer benefit... except of course for the studio content.

Of course we all know that the studios will follow the consumer if they collectively tell the studios to go screw themselves. It happened with DIVX, but the enthusiast landscape has changed dramatically since then.

10. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member War Zone Member

CSS on DVDs was cracked early on and we all know how unprofitable that format was....... ;)

Hey, if they want absolute security they can keep the films locked away after they make them. It's all about art ya know. :)

Or they could get rid of CP all together, increase profits and continue to make billions while the consumer could actually have the media and hardware work as expected.

Pete

11. brianca

brianca New Member

I guess that depends on how you define as expected.

has anyone even here among us done that? I see a lot of complaining about it, but it doesn't seem to bother anyone enough to actually stop using the products. As long as that's the case, I don't expect anything to change. The way it is now people are either ok with copy protection and they buy the products or they don't like copy protection and they buy the products. Not really a problem for the content owners.

12. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

That is exactly what I am saying. The studios expect the consumer to follow them like sheep, and it looks like people are eagerly complying.

And I am not bashing the studios. They are doing exactly what they should be doing. Trying to get stricter copy protection in an attempt to increase their profits. It is the enthusiasts who are failing, by supporting a format that does not provide any enthusiast advantage (vide/audio quality), while paying more for it and accepting copy protection schemes that are known to have access to directly access and alter hardware.

Contrast that to a few short years ago when there were two formats. One had more studio support, but had stricter CP. Enthusiasts told the studios to go screw themselves and to support the format that best fit the consumer if they wanted to consumer dollars.

The hobby has changed.

13. brianca

brianca New Member

Yourself included?

14. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Nope. HD DVD does not have BD+ or it's undocumented features.

15. brianca

brianca New Member

Hd-DVD does, of course, include copy protection. Is it only the features of BD+ that you're concerned about, or copy protection in general?

16. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

AACS is well documented and the extent of what it can and cannot do is well known. I do not have an issue with how it functions. I personally did not have an issue with CSS either.

I do have an issue with a on disc CP mechanism that has access to running native player code.

17. brianca

brianca New Member

What specific functions of BD+ are troublesome to you enough that the buyign public should boycott the format?

18. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Show me the spec and I'll let you know.

What has been leaked is that BD+ allows for shipped to discs to alter player hardware. By necessity, this would be without user interaction. Think about that for a second. BD discs are going to ship with the keys to alter your player hardware without user interaction. Beyond the possible impact just from bugs in the implimentation (bricked hardware), you also have an attack vector for malicious hackers.

I am not calling for a boycott of Blu-Ray. What I am concerned about is the lack of outcry from enthusiasts and format owners to have the studios release details about BD+ (to see just what it can do) and to see if consumers shoudl be pushing back on those features. At the very least, consumers shoudl be saying that a purchased movie should not be directly accessing native hardware code without user approval.

19. brianca

brianca New Member

Now that would be a neat trick. ;)

the publicly released details about BD+ talk about the implementation installing in a VM on the player, not directly into the player OS or certainly not at the BOIS?CMOS level. That virtual machine is also deleted at the removal of the disc. Unless you're privy to information that conflict that, it's a far cry from what you're describing.

Also, there is a published BD+ spec. Just because you don't have a copy of it or can't buy a copy of it doesn't make it undocumented. Of course AACS could be full of undocumented features as well and we wouldn't know it becuase they are undocumented. Until they release the source code for review, we'll never really know anything about either format.

If your primary concern is about direct hardware code access as it seems to be, I think those concerns are unfounded from what I've seen.

20. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

A minor correction: the code cannot alter the player hardware. It can in theory alter the firmware. Similar potential end result, but completely different mechanism. Since it is a software function, it can be reversed or limited in scope, and the idea of a player becoming a "brick" is really an exaggeration. In reality a hacked disc would not play, a hacked player would not play, or both, but it could be reversed simply by a new ROM flash.