1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Across the Universe

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by DYohn, May 26, 2007.

1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

http://www.acrosstheuniverse.com/

Wow. A new Julie Taymor film that really looks interesting. For those of us who lived through the 60's, or for those who might want to know what it was like... this trailer looks like she might have captured some of that essence. A story of the 60's told through The Beatles' music.

2. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I saw this trailer at the movie theater recently I think. Might have been on a DVD. Can't remember for sure. It didn't do much for me, and in fact annoyed me a little. The trailer gave the movie a cheapened feel, as if making a buck off of 60's stereotypes and cliches, and not going for what really may have been going on back then. Which, having been born in 1969, I really don't know what that feeling is. Still, those are the feelings I got when I saw the trailer. I don't let trailers annoy me to the point of not watching a possibly good film so I'll have to wait for the DVD to see what I think.

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Hey Tyson. I really like Julie Taymor's work (Frieda, Titus) so I would give this a shot based on those two alone. Glad to read you don't let trailers spoil a chance at a good film: as you say, the purpose of a trailer is to generate interest based on what the producers think are the most commercial aspects of the film. :)

4. Tyson

Tyson New Member

David,

I have seen Freida but not Titus. I believe we started Titus but my wife was not into it and I never had a chance to revisit it. I'll have to put that on my to do list. :)

Just from viewing this trailer and having watched Freida and some of Titus, it seems like she is capable of some very different movie styles. That alone makes this new one a little more interesting to me.

Tyson

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member

Loved Frida. Very well done. I'll be seeing The Lion King later this year--she directed that, too.

I understand that Taymor lost director's cut on Across the Universe. That worries me. Otherwise, this appears to be on the order of Moulin Rouge.

Hopefully it will not be another Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band...

- Steve

6. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

My son saw it twice...

My youngest, a 20 year old college sophomore, saw "Across the Universe" twice in less than 48 hours. His girlfriend went to both showings as well. His comment: "it was long but I really like the movie." :tu:

7. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I think you are the first person other than myself that liked Titus.
    Cool movie

8. Taymor's TITUS was original ( something rare from Hollywood, these days ) and it sounds like her latest fits that mould, too. If nothing else, I will rent it when it comes to dvd.