1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Adam Jahnke's article on Digital Bits

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by mark j, Jun 14, 2007.

1. mark j

mark j New Member

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

You know what, there's always a little blurb at the front of home theater magazine where they ask the editors a choice and they all seemed pretty blah too. I'll have to double check the exact question but it was about HD on disc. I just find it bizarre that the people who write for enthusiast publications seem so uninterested. I guess they're holding out for more advertising revenue before jumping up and down about something? I really don't get it. They were all hogwild over HDTV and now they're just like "eh". I'll check the question again and post the general responses.

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Ya think they're not excited about HD-DVD/ Blu because maybe they DON'T want to have to buy two more machines to add to the HT set-up just to keep up with the movies they want?

With HDTV ya pick out the TV you like...you pick out the HDTV service you think serves your needs best and hook it up and BAM, you are watching HD ESPN, HD-HBO HD-NG etc ..and it's safe to say you can pretty much get all those channels no matter what service provider you sign up for. For the most part (not in all cases) there's no need to sign up for cable to see HD-HBO, DISH to see the HD-NG channel, and DTV to see ESPN-HD..they all have it and you can use the one TV to watch it all.

4. CJ

Alfer, these people write for magazines and have reference setups for review purposes. Not only should they not be upset about buying both but they really need to to maintain any credibility. Who's doing the reviews if none of these people want to buy players? Are they making them up? Oh that movie looks like the picture quality will be a 4 based on the box cover art. I'll write for the digital bits if they need someone who's actually has any interest in highest quality in-home movies available.

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

If their stated goal is to review BOTH formats on a regular basis, then YES the reviewer(s) in question would obviously need the equipment to do the task.

But they still don't need to "like" having a format war etc. and jump onboard just because they are part of an "enthusisat" site...they can review the material, report it, and move on. If they don't own one or both at home, I won't fault them.

p.s. His article was spot on with how things are rolling along in this war we have to sit and watch go by.

6. CJ

In your opinion.

7. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I thought Ron (and others) said we didn't need to use that anymore??

(Meaning the IMO moniker)

:wink:

8. mark j

mark j New Member

CJ you are right for the people working in this business they should be excited about both formats. For me it?s a don?t care for now. I will go HD when there is just one format.

9. CJ

Understandable, you don't (TTBOMK) write for a website that earns income from promoting Movies and high-end AV.

To soften my stance a little, he's right about the concept that a bad movie on HD is still a bad movie. Fortunately there are good movies on both formats and for me, quite a few that I've never seen at all which is enough to keep me occupied.

10. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I wonder if all the writers and editors etc who write for car review mags like C&D etc all "have" to drive only the newest best cars made because they are of course in many cases the newest and best of the best in "their" industry..?? Somehow I don't think that's always gonna be the case.

In other words, none of the writers can dare drive a used 1985 Chevy and write for C&D etc...

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

African Queen is a bad example. It's not even on DVD yet and for good reason. They want to restore the film before they release it.

12. mark j

mark j New Member

Shane it is a good example because they have had several years to do the work and have it released.

But OK just last week 30 Seconds over Tokyo was released onto DVD for the first time.

Has there been any TV shows released on HD.

13. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

By and large, the choice of films in HT magazines appalls me.

A-effin'-men!

14. Shane

Shane Active Member

The good example isn't because of an HD format war though. It's simply due to a studio decision. BR and HD aren't affecting whether they put out African Queen or not.

TV on HD and BR:

Smallville
    Rescue Me
    Weeds
    Hereoes(in August)
    Sopranos
    Battlestar Galatica(coming soon)

There might be a couple others I'm forgetting.

15. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

It's complicated in the case of The African Queen. Since the start of the DVD era, the rights to the film have changed hands at least three times. None of those rights holders have had access to the original negatives/elements of the film to make a new IP to be used for a digital transfer. All they had was an old analog video master that would not have looked good on DVD at all. And since they all knew that their ownership of the film was short-lived, none would commit to the $$$ needed to restore it.

A few years ago Paramount got the rights (and has them now), they are still in the process of working with the owner of the negatives in the UK (Carlton Media, I believe) to finance and produce a restored print.

16. CJ

I'd bet more of them own newish and/or modified cars than you think, and that's because they're enthusiasts. But any way, we're not talking about a $40k proposition, its less than $1000 to join both formats. I'm sure they can swing that.

17. mark j

mark j New Member

You are right Shane and I see your point too. It just seems to me that both of the HD formats don't have the content to jump to it. And I remember when DVD started the first DVDs had issues and have been replaced at least in my collection. I see that happening with both formats now so I have no problem waiting.

But I am looking forward to the time when there is one HD format. I just hope there is a winner.

18. CJ

So it almost seems like even though DVD is touted as the golden boy of CE most people who aren't jumping in seem to be blaming it for why they aren't going to jump on the HD bandwagon right away. Odd...

19. mark j

mark j New Member

Pete that explains way region 2 got a release several years back.

20. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I think The Fifth Element can easily fall into this statement too...