1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Ahem and Some News

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Chris White, May 12, 2007.

1. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Ahem

We're proud owners of a new home theater. Oh yeah, it came with a house. :)

[​IMG]

The house has a 20X25 room that will become a media room. I call it a media room because it won't be a dedicated HT (like Jerry P's), but more like what I have now with a game table and a wet bar. I'm looking forward to sharing my design plans with everyone here.

Some News

We're moving! Here's a big hint:

tcu-06-masthd-left.jpg

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Congratulations on the new home and the new job!

3. Congrats on the new home (and new job?)!
    Who'd have thunk someone could go from a Spartan to a Horny Toad? :)

4. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Congrats! I guess you'll be a bit warmer in the winters! Can't wait to see all the pics as you build the HT!

5. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

kewl and congratulations!!!!!!

6. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Dallas to Fort Worth. That's quite a cultural shift. What part of the area are you moving to? Looks like an older neighborhood as no one builds like that in that area any more.

7. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Wow, Chris, that's quite a move. Welcome to the DFW area, and congratulations on the new job. Hope the Horned Frogs treat you well.

8. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Thanks guys!

Michael - There will indeed be pictures galore!

Ken - Dallas to Fort Worth? Make that Williamston, MI to Fort Worth and, yes, it's quite a change! Our "new" house is in 76109, 3.5 miles from the university. It was built in 1973 and remodeled in 2000. It is an older neighborhood. The average build year for houses in 76109 is 1966.

9. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

I meant Michigan, LOL. I love the older architecture as back then they design houses around the lots and didn't just shove a box thwo stories high on a quarter acre square with less then ten feet between you and your neighbor's house.

10. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

" and it came with a house ". At least your priorities are in the correct order!

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

Looks like a ranch style home. Up around the corner near the hospital are similar homes.

They are HUGE and fairly budget friendly(for most).

Just don't tell Larry how much you paid otherwise it will send him into a nervous breakdown :)

You are moving at the right time, August will be here shortly :)

12. Allen

Allen New Member War Zone Member

Congrats, Chris on the move - that should be a culture and climate shock. :wink: :)

Look forward to seeing what you do with a 20X25 room as a media room...

13. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

Wow, congratulations Chris! Did I miss everything?? Otherwise, what's the big idea keeping us in the dark all this time? :)
    What is the new position, and more importantly, are you bringing the IB or will there be a new one? Inquiring minds ---

14. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Tell Larry? I'm a cruel SOB, I SEND home real estate listing links from Omaha with pictures of the homes and square footages :D

15. hgroff

hgroff New Member

Chris,

Welcome to Texas.

I would love to come up to Fort Worth and check out your media room / system once your all set up.

I lived in Tarrant county for 10 years prior to my move to Waco, still have rental property up there, so not much of a drive to visit.

good luck with the move and new job.....

16. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Chris,
    Well I guess if you want to keep your HT hobby fresh, you need to keep moving every few years and start from scratch.

So this time around are you going go with a projector? It does seem the next logical step.

Good luck and I hope you feel better now that you are back home in Texas.

Max

17. Chris White

Chris White New Member

The position is the same as it is here - professor of marketing. I will be definitely moving my IB.
    Sounds like a good idea to me.
    Ha ha. It may not look like it, but I HATE to move. I wouldn't be making this movie unless is was a place I REALLY REALLY wanted to be.
    That's still undecided. My preference is to have a media room (very large room with wet bar, game table, etc.) rather than a purely dedicated theater room. My concern is that a projector wouldn't be as good a choice for a media room.

*** Breaking News ***

Our housing plans have changed! We got the house inspector's report yesterday and let's just say the house failed miserably. We were already planning on at least $25k in repairs/upgrades, but after reading the report, we realized we might need to spend twice that much. Given the size of the house, if we spent $50k on it, we could never get that back. So, we have canceled the contract and will have to keep looking.

We'll have to expand our search geographically. My goal was to be south of I30 and within 10 minutes of my office. That's a challenge because: 1) there were fewer than a dozen houses in our price range, 2) the average build date is 1966 so most houses need repair/renovation, and 3) these houses are priced $25 to $50 per square foot more than houses 15-20 minutes away. So, we've decided it would be smarter to drive 5-10 minutes longer and get a newer, bigger, and perhaps cheaper house.

18. Shane

Shane Active Member

Chris,
    A projector makes sense along with a larger more powerful IB. Afterall, everything is bigger in Texas :)

19. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

Bummer about the house. Good luck with finding something even better!

20. I think that's a wise move Chris. It is nice to live close to where you work, but you are gonna pay NE US/Cali type prices for doing so. That extra 20 minutes a day will pay off in hours upon hours of home enjoyment. Heck, you'll probably also find a home with a nice pool for the same money too. :)

Good Luck with your search!