1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Ahem update-DAC-60, Stg 1 Mod's, from Danny GR Research

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by GSmitty, Jun 22, 2007.

1. GSmitty

GSmitty Member

I've had this unit up and running now for a few months.

SB3 via coax - > DAC 60 -> Cary Cin 11 -> Cary Cin5 -> Kenleigh Speakers -> Smitty's Ears -> Smitty's :) !

I do not think the DAC 60 has fully burned in, between 75-100 hours of burn in time.

Today being a Friday that I'm not at work, yeah!, I did some A,B,C testing.

Brothers in Arms:

VPI Scoutmaster, Mike's Adcom Cart find, 180G LP, AR PH3SE Great Northern Mod's (very nice)

Meridian 508.24, Red Book CD

SB3 playback of loss less ripped CD, DAC-60

To my ears, the LP sounded best, set that up as a 10.
    The SB3/DAC-60 sounded very, very good say a 9.
    The Meridian CD sounded nice also, say a 8.5.
    Going off of memory (not fair) the SB3 into the Cin 11 (without DAC-60) was probably in fourth position, down around a 7. (I found before the DAC-60, I could only listen to the SB3 for about an hour or so, without my ears saying - enough!)

Both the LP and SB3/DAC060 routes have Tubes in the path, I think the Phono with Great Northern's mod's, gave a more detail sound of the two. Vocal's seemed about the same, it was the chords and piano's that seemed just a bit more alive with the AR 3SE, then from the SB3... To my ears...

As Mike, and others have commented - this DAC-60 is alot of bang for the buck. This was my first dealling with Danny, and I thought the cost of the upgrade was reasonable. I felt with my investment of ripping CD's to play back via the SB3 (ITunes and PANDORA too), that having the upgrade at that cost, was a worth while expenditure. From what others have said, the DAC-60 out of the box, is very good too...

My thanks to Danny, and my agreement with what others have said: If you are into a SB3, or ROKU, or other - slide a DAC-60 into the mix...

-----------
    For you other DAC-60 gang - what Tubes have you rolled to? I like this now, but know that improved tubes will add to the mix. Danny, you lurking, any comments on tube paths?

Many smiles ahead for Smitty... Best to all!