1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

AHEM!

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Pete Apruzzese, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

31Mpv9lHtZL._AA280_.jpg

The Toshiba HD-D2 player should be coming home with me tonight :)

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Yea! Sams or Costco?

I noticed they still had one on display at Costco, but none left in stock--a sign said that more were on order.

It was also posted as $349, but it is hard to say what the actual price is when there are none in stock.

Costco also had several Warner and Universal titles for sale next to the DVD's.

- Steve

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I brought one home last night to replace my A1. I think you'll like it.

4. Steve Tannehill

Were you using the discrete 5.1 outputs of the A1?

- Steve

5. CJ

I was at first but quit out of simple logistics convenience. As I was explaining to Larry on the phone last night, my Yamaha receiver has some quirks that make using the analog inputs a PITA. I'll deal with not having some of the advanced audio until I get a receiver that does that processing on board.

6. Pete Apruzzese

BJ's Wholesale Club, marked at $349 minus a $100 instant rebate/discount at the register. They had 5 of them the other night, but I had no cash on hand. Must also stop at Best Buy and take advantage of the "$20 off of 3" deal they have going to get King Kong, Adventures of Robin Hood, and something else (Corpse Bride, maybe?).

7. CJ

BTW, the local West Omaha Best Buy is having trouble keeping these stocked. They were out when I went there. Had to go to NFM where they had 4-5 with a lot of empty shelf space around what was left. Anecdotally these are selling well in a pretty conservative market.

8. Steve Tannehill

How about The Searchers?

This is exciting, three new HD-A2/D2 owners in the course of just over a week! We should start a club. :D

- Steve

9. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Is the D2 the same as the A2? Limited to 1080i?

10. Pete Apruzzese

That's another probable purchase. I'm looking forward to comparing the SD and HD of Kong and Robin Hood, should be interesting :)

11. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson New Member

Just out of curiousity, why did you buy one of these? Didn't you state a month of so ago (on the other forum)that you thought BluRay would win the "war"?

Pete, congrats on the player. Please post your thoughts on the Robin Hood differences as this is one of my favorite movies and would be interested.

12. Steve Tannehill

From what I've read, the HD-D2 is the same as the HD-A2, except the D2 comes with an HDMI cable. Like its cousin, it maxes out at 1080i.

My Mitsubishi 57831 deinterlaces it to 1080p just fine, though.

- Steve

13. CJ

I bought this because I'm invested in HD-DVD for now and the price was hard to beat and the A1 was just too slow. This is much better. The bottom line is pretty much eh, I just did. Regarding the format war, who really knows. Every time BD looks stronger HD-DVD lowers its prices again. Who'd have thought you could get a NiB next gen player for $250? Who knows where this will all end up.

14. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

I thought HD-DVD & Blu-Ray would output 7.1. Is this not the case?

15. Steve Tannehill

Through HDMI, sure. The discrete analog outputs of the Toshiba HD-A1 are 5.1.

- Steve

16. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

Are there any players (Blu-Ray or HD-DVD) that have 7.1 analog outputs? :?

17. Steve Tannehill

Yes. I believe the Panasonic has them, probably others, just not sure of the models.

- Steve

18. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

Does your Yammy use the "External Decoder" button? If so, then I know exactly what you mean. It's the one feature that my Harmony just can't figure out.

Graeme

19. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I have had my A2 for a few months now, I love it.

I second the vote for The Searchers, there are parts where it really seems like you are looking out of a window!

20. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Yes, I think you are correct Steve the Panasonic BD10 is currently the only high def player with 7.1 analog outs. It's BRD.