1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Ahem...

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Steve Tannehill, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member

2. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus New Member

ive got a (smaller) order form amazon on the way to.

so, um whats in the box ??? :)

3. Steve Tannehill

Well, the big box on the top is my ticket to a smaller waistline. I've been on Nutrisystem for almost a month and have lost 17 pounds so far. This is my second month's supply of pre-packaged food.

The 2 small boxes are the CD of Spring Awakening and the new Traveling Wilburys set.

The final box on the bottom is the Toshiba HD-XA2, which I bought with all that spare change that I converted into Amazon gift certificates. It looks like I hit on the lowest price so far--$510. It is now back up to $603.

The Tosh is heavy, sturdy, and it comes with a similar sucky remote as the HD-A1 and HD-XA1.

CIMG0879.jpg
    CIMG0880.jpg
    CIMG0884.jpg
    CIMG0885.jpg
    CIMG0905.jpg
    CIMG0918.jpg

More to come...

- Steve

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Very NICE!

5. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

Almost looks like a smiley face on the bottom box.

Nutrisystem, hmm maybe I should check that out. :)

Max

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Include me in the curious about Nutrisystem..the Mrs is seeking to shrink her waistline a bit...care to start a new thread and tell us about it and maybe keep a running update going with it?

:)

7. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Swwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

8. Steve Tannehill

<Homer>Oooh, sweeeets...</Homer>

I'm heading to the VIP area to talk a bit about my first month on Nutrisystem.

- Steve

9. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

Nice! To think you were able to get it from loose change, no less.

10. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Congrat's Steve...I'm sure we'll hear a review ;)

Another "weight" system that I've seen a lot of people have great success with is called Simply For Life

11. CJ

LOL, that will be my new argument to drive Alfer insane. Buy an HD-DVD player, you can pick one up with loose change for crying out loud.

On the other topic, I've lost 10 pounds eating a little healthier (not counting calories or avoiding any group of foods but looking for high fiber, high protein foods that fill you up for longer) and my wife lost 20 doing the same thing plus exercise. I haven't started an exercise routine yet but probably will if I start to level off because I'd like to get back down to 160ish.

12. Chris White

Chris White New Member

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

CJ's word of wisdom:
    I think my loose change at home MAY add up to $30...so can I still buy a player since it is "loose change" like you said??

:wink:

14. CJ

Yep, you just need to go get the loose change from 9 more houses.

Besides I didn't say YOUR loose change, just that you could buy it with loose change (hey, there's an Alfer rebuttal). ;) :p

15. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I'll be right over....:)

The rest of you can just leave me your change on your front porches...

:p :lol:

16. Steve Tannehill

Classic!

- Steve

17. Steve Tannehill

I've been very busy at work (even today, thankfully remote) so I have not had a lot of time to play with the XA2. I've been picking out some of the better DVD transfers to test out the XA2's upconversion capabilities. I have the player connected to the 1080p Mits via HDMI.

Wow. Obviously it is not, nor can it be high definition. But the picture is so crisp and sharp that it begins to resemble it. The colors are not quite as vibrant, but that is a nit. I guarantee you that to the untrained eye, you will do a doubletake when you are told that the picture is only standard definition. And even to the trained eye, my DVD collection does not suddenly feel quite so replaceable.

I will do some comparisons against the PS3. I get the feeling that the PS3 will also be very good, but not quite the juggernaut in the video processing department.

Best $500 I ever spent...

- Steve

18. Shane

Shane Active Member

How does it compare to the D2? Obviously I'm trying to tap into your memory here.

19. Steve Tannehill

Yeah, I still have that... was thinking of doing a comparison there too.

The player speed is great, and the remote ergonomics are better on the HD-A2/D2. The price is certainly right, although it looks like Costco is back up to $349.

Picture-wise, it is a close call. I don't have any torture test DVD's--guess I need to order that Silicon Optix HQV disc. I guess I could pull out The Last Emperor or Outland and see if sh*t shines on either player.

I'm sure this is partly the placebo effect. Shane, you convinced me that the Reon chip was the best thing out there. ;)

And certainly, the Reon chip allows customization not possible on the HD-A2/D2--I never played around with user controls much, opting for the ISF tweaks instead. But I guess I could finally make The Matrix less green. :D

And there is the knowledge that, with a Secrets Benchmark score of 95, there are only four players that edged out the HD-XA2 with scores of 96 and 97. None of those four players are HD DVD, though, so this is the highest rated HD DVD player.

That alone makes me feel about as good as Mike did with his $2000 upconverting player.

- Steve

20. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Yep.

I am really, really itching to get an HD-XA2. The upconversion ablility alone makes it worth the $$ (IMO).