1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Ahem....

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Karl Englebright, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright New Member

Well, finally had enough of our Dodge Durango's mechanical and electrical problems and decided to get a new family car. After test driving many cars, renting, researching, and a miriad of family meetings (we are not what you would call an "impulsive" family!), we decided on this car:

500067535_1_b.jpg

It's the 2007 Ford Edge SEL FWD. The color is called "Creme Brulee". My wife and I thought the color looks classy without being "blah". I have to tell you, we are sooo impressed with this car. Some of the criticisms I have read by some reviewers, IMO, have been unfounded or just "opinions". In terms of fit and feel, I don't see that Ford has given anything up to their Japanese competition in this market segment.

I've never had a navigation system in a car, so it's been a lot fun playing with it. This thing has the biggest sun roof I've seen on a vehicle. It covers about 40% of the roof.

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Nice looking ride...I think Ford has found a winner with this crossover.

Have fun with it!

3. Karl Englebright

Thanks Alfer. We are thinking of taking it to the coast this weekend. It's becoming sort of a tradition... Get a new car, drive to the coast! :)

4. Shane

Shane Active Member

I like it!

Crossovers are the new mini-van.

5. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Congratulations Karl. The Edge looks great!

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I'm liking these new crossovers. No one took "SUVs" offroad any way. Though its funny all the "big 3" drivers made fun of soft-roaders and now the Big 3 is making the same vehicles but later. Not a dig, just saying. I like the edge.

7. Karl Englebright

Thanks Larry!

Shane,
    I agree. My wife was bent on getting a Nissan minivan but once she saw this one and then drove it, she was hooked.

I was wanting to go "green" with a Mercury Mariner hybrid and almost pulled the trigger on one, but then we checked the Edge out. Geez, talk about no choices on the whole Hybrid thing. We had a heck of a time finding a dealership that had a decent inventory of hybrids. I guess they don't get many, and when they do, they don't last long.

8. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Looks nice and I like the color. Crossovers are a smart choice. We all know we need a mini-van because it's so practical, but we just don't want to be seen in one. :)

9. Karl Englebright

True. I know that in our case, the only time we switched our durango to 4wd was to go over mountain passes when it was snowing. And only because the durango was a rear wheel drive when the 4wd was not engaged.

10. Shane

Shane Active Member

Karl,
    The mileage they are getting on the suv hybrids are not worth the cost. $29k for barely 30mpg. /yawn

11. CJ

Some of us are secure enough that it doesn't bother us...

mazda_5.jpg

12. CJ

Yep, I think we'll be going with AWD xovers for both of our next vehicles but no need for a full 4wd SUV for what WE do with our vehicles.

13. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Karl, I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw the early ads for the "Edge". Not only did it look like a Murano but they even chose to show it in copper paint! These ersatz Muranos ("crossovers") are everywhere and really are useful. I assume your Edge comes with a ~3.5 l V-6. What kind of gas mileage are you getting (according to the onboard computer)? What grade of fuel does Ford recommend? What kind of warranty did they offer?

Congrats on the car. Nice color. :)

14. Karl Englebright

It may change in the future as there is more supply for the demannd, but right now, they are also not willing to discount them. The Mariner we were looking at would have been around 32.5K (it was 4wd and fully loaded) with hardly any possibility of discounts. Though, the federal tax credit for that car is currently 2,200, and the state credit(Oregon) is 1,500. Another thing about the Hybrids (at least with this one) is that because they don't idle while in traffic, carbon emissions are reduced significantly.

I do feel I got a LOT more car for the money though.

15. Karl Englebright

Wait a second, that doesn't look like a minivan! This looks like a minivan:

[​IMG]

:D

16. CJ

LOL, true, but it has sliding rear doors and three rows of seats. I call it a nano van :D

17. Karl Englebright

Thanks!

Yeah, the orange color is pretty nice, but you are right, it makes it look too close to the Murano. Our Edge does have the 3.5 v-6, though I think that's the only engine available. It's not sports car responsive in terms of acceleration, but it does get up and go pretty convincingly when goosed. We haven't done hardly any freeway driving so far, but the the computer says we are averaging 18.9. We've driven only around 160 miles as of yesterday.

The sticker says its mileage should be between 18 and 25. They are using the new "standards" for reporting mpg, so it's a bit more realistic.

Ford recommends 87 octane so that should be "easier" on the wallet. The warranty is the standard b-to-b, 3/36,000, 5/60,000 for drivetrain, 10/100K for rust.

One thing we really like are the front seats. They are about the most comfortable leather car seats I've ever sat in. Another "cool" feature of this thing is the reclining back seat. It makes for a really comfortable ride in the back. Not sure if I will like that feature when my daughter starts dating, though.... :wink:

18. Karl Englebright

This car also comes with a six month subscription to Sirius radio, but I've noticed that the sound is good but not great. The sound out of my Ipod nano plugged into it's aux input, is smoother and more detailed. CD's sound great also so I don't think it's the actual system. Could it be the quality of the Sirius receiver in the system?

19. Joe Q

Joe Q Member War Zone Member

Very nice ride. I was quite surprised with the whole package when I rented one a few months ago.

Regarding Sirius, it's not the receiver. :wink:

20. Karl Englebright

I take it, the compression scheme is not all that great then?

I have it at home through Dish Network and never thought it was all that great as far as sound quality go (material is great, though), but I always thought it was because of Dish...