1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

ahhhh... hem...

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by cjd, May 17, 2007.

1. cjd

cjd New Member

1920x1200 + 1280x1024

Picked up a BenQ FP241W. Nice monitor. Really nice. Had to adjust color (has a green cast by default?!) and turn the brightness almost all the way down! Kinda crazy, really. It's like a blast torch from the factory.

Added it to my existing Hyundai.

And still living in Ubuntu. No windows in ages. :)

C

2. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

What does this mean?

3. Eric

Eric Active Member

He "added it to his existing Hyundai". My guess is one of them runs 1920x1200 and the other is 1280x1024. I'd have to check the specs of his new BenQ to know which is which.

4. cjd

cjd New Member

Sorry, yes. I've had a Hyundai H90 or some such, with a 1280x1024 resolution. It is known for its color accuracy.

The new Benq is 1920x1200 (16:10, 1080p width... heh.) Colors had to be tweaked but are as good as I've seen. Which is to say, very very good. I still need to do an official calibration. But color was one of my big concerns since I do photo work. Heat output is fine, evenness of lighting across the panel is good. No dead pixels. HDMI input. PnP if I wanted to use it (though IIRC only SVideo or component inputs). Turning it to vertical display is crazy. How very wide it is doesn't really hit till you do that. :)

I am running a dual monitor setup at the moment, with the wide Benq as my primary and the Hyundai as a secondary. I may not bother with the second monitor as it causes some troubles with some things. But it's also easy to leave in place and just turn it on when I am doing something where I want the second monitor.

I also put together my backup strategy finally. A nifty little Icy Dock external drive enclosure with hot swappable drive. Snagged a couple extra drive cages and a handful of 250GB Seagates (250 is half the price of 500, so GB/$ is good). I'm running it eSATA which is really slick. Unfortunately, I forgot I only had two SATA ports so I can't realize the full strategy (was going to run an internal 250 on which all my important data goes, and just do a regular copy to a drive rotation). By far the most affordable means of backup any more I think. Speed is tremendous, and it's only at SATA I speeds (150mb/s) - since I need another port I'll snag a SATA II card (though I am pondering a total upgrade at this point) and double that. My old SCSI drive is silly slow by comparison, and in its day it was fast. (4GB, a warranty replacement upgrade from my original 2GB... the drive has lasted a VERY long time, which is why I went SCSI back then...)

Most interesting to me though... I arrived home totally burned out from work. I tinkered last night and woke up this morning feeling totally refreshed. Of course, it all came crashing down while I was waiting for the train, not because I was thinking of work but because some woman decided to stand upwind and blow smoke into my face. Almost panicked, I couldn't breathe. As bad as being under water too long (I've done that too).

Ahh well.

Only two more days of work this week and then they're nice enough to say we can choose not to work if we want on Sunday.

C