Alfer's got a blog!

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Eric, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Eric

Eric Active Member

Geez Alfer, you never told any of us your real name is Don Reisinger and you work for CNET...

For any one caring to read and argue the points, read the following cNet blog:

Low-Cost Sony BDP-S300 Is Shipping -- Do We Really Care?

I don't even want to go in to it, but figured there's usually a fair number of people willing to get in to the same boring arguments. :twisted:

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

These guys are just as bored as forum participants. Attach "yet" to each of his statements and its pretty much spot on. BTW, what's with the argument that people don't want to replace their entire DVD collection if the buy an HD player. I guess I didn't get the memo. Am I breaking some kind of law by not replacing them all? Seriously he mentions repurchasing your entire library TWICE in the article.

I also love how everyone compares street prices of DVD to MSRP of HD-DVDs. Man, this IS Alfer isn't it?

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice try!

4. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

I figured/thought the general public didn't have much of a collection to start with hence even if they did replace movies the cost would be minimal.

Andrew
    The in-laws Jack Ryan collection replacement will lead to their financial ruin!

5. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, its one of those moving target arguments that Alfer also likes to make. The general public doesn't buy hundreds of DVDs... the general public won't buy HD-DVD or Blu-Ray because they don't' want to replace hundreds of DVDs.

6. Eric

Eric Active Member

Yeah, the "replacing the whole library" and "existing library isn't HD" were the two biggies in there I had a problem with. I, for one, am not planning on replacing ANY of my SD library. I'm still thrilled with the image quality from SD, and I don't even use an upscaling player. Also, the fact that BD and HDDVD players all upscale DVD's to near HD quality was never mentioned.

I'm still purchasing both SD and HD material. And will continue to do so, though I will try to get HD versions of movies I'm buying whenever possible.

7. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Not necessarily....sure they probably don't want to replace any of their movies...but mainly, they probably just don't really care that much about the two seperate formats...as the dude said basically the benefits don't really outway the cost of investment (not to mention the hassle of hooking up TWO extra players.

But again I see we're spiriling down that path of anger all because of DVD....no need to go there on yet another thread...we've got how many other threads saying the same damn things...let's not add yet another..at least we can contain it and bicker via just one or two threads. :)

8. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I'll probably replace 10 titles from my library tops and that would be over time. And that's out of a library of 450 DVDs. I read all these stories and its like the only thing they say is "only early adopters are buying this stuff so far". No shit, why is this format being held to a different standard than any other? How many people had HDTV in 1997 when Mike Knapp had it? How many people had DVD in 1998? Probably a couple hundred thousand, which these new formats are NOT that far off from.

9. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

I started reading and when I got here I started laughing so hard I couldn't continue...

DVD price when released? $500-1000 with disc prices in the mid $20 and up range.
    iPod price when released? $400 for 5GB and $500 for the 10GB models
    How about MP3 players in general?
    Cell phones? Crazy money.
    TV's? VCR's?

I'm trying to think of any mass-marketed type CE device that made a "splash" without a high price? Hell I can still remember when a Walkman actually cost 'real' money.

As everybody has basically said, to expect this or any other "new" CE type device/format/whatever to be mass-excepted in such a short amount of time is grossly out of touch with reality and doesn't follow history very well.

10. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

The problem is everyone is a consumer, therefore they think they understand consumer economics. Its pretty easy to see they don't.

11. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Those of us who work for the consumer electronics industry don't fully understand the consumer electronics market...

12. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Hey, we've been saying that the whole TIME! ;) But, if that was in response to me, I said consumer ECONOMICS. Like everyone seems to know what the buy-in price for J6P is or what point will equal critical mass for a given format. People spend YEARS studying this stuff and for some reason every person with a keyboard and credit card thinks they're an economics expert now.

13. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Ha ha! Another perfect example of part of the problem with Internet communication: some people read what they want to read into something someone else writes. Like I just did to you! :) But I do agree with you.