1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

An upconverting question.

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Randy Rhoton, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

All of you who are buying new HD players made me think of something I just don't know the answer to. My Pioneer Elite Pro 520 only displays up to 1080I. If and when I go HD, will this cause me any grief, as the new players seem to go to 1080P? Or will the set just display what it can? Or do the players have a menu setting for whatever your display is? I haven't actuall looked into this as I'm still waiting out the &*%*(# format war. I am not planning to change the set any year soon, it's only 5 years old now.

2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

You will tell the player to output 1080I and everything will be fine, as long as the studios continue to put out discs that allow HD through component cables.

Max

3. Randy Rhoton

Thanks, Max, but I gotta admit that all of you who are jumping in now make me less inclined to wait. My latest hope is for a really good dual format player that's not way pricey. Ain't holding my breath.

4. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Yeah it would be nice, however I don't see a cheap one coming anytime soon.

I'm thinking of the HD-A2 for HD-DVD and a PS 3 or a Panasonic BDP 10a second Gen player for Blu Ray. That would be about $250+or - and $599 which is like $850 and the LG Dual format player is going for $about $1200 and many are saying it has some flaws in each format.

I almost went out today but kind of put it off because I don't think the Pany is out stores.

The HD-DVD players come with 5 free HD-DVDs and the Pany comes with 5 Free Blu-Ray discs including the first 2 Pirates movies but the PS3 has not Discs.

There is much of my thinking if it helps you are all.

Max

5. Randy Rhoton

It does, but I'm old enough that I have been through too many format wars, and I just flat out refuse to buy two players, just because some corporate jerks are engaged in testosterone combat. You'd think they were standing at a urinal with tape measures. Yet I still lean blu-ray, if for no other reason than more studios support it. For now.

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

This is MUCH more important than who's dick is bigger, this is about... money.

7. Chris White

Chris White New Member

You won't have long to wait. The Samsung dual format player should be out this fall.

8. CJ

Then it comes down to your definition of pricey...

9. Chris White

Chris White New Member

It's not too pricey if it costs less to buy a dual format player than to buy an HD-DVD player and a Blu-Ray player.

10. CJ

Which now it doesn't look like it will. Sony just announced a price cut to $500 so maybe $450 street + $250 for an HD-A2. Is this universal player going to be cheaper than $700?

11. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Maybe not, but like I said...a dual format player will be WAY more convenient to own.

:)

12. CJ

Not if it isn't fully functional.

13. Randy Rhoton

If it's fully functional and reasonable priced, I'll be looking at it. Define reasonably priced? Under $600. But, I have had quality and longevity issues with a Sumsung player in the past. An el cheapo one that didn't work well and died in a year.

14. Shane

Shane Active Member

The Samsung won't be for you then. It should be around $900. Pricing is the primary reason I say why it isn't for you. The others aren't announcing universal players. Samsung's primary reasoning now is related to how they got thrown under the bus by Sony when they had issues with their first gen player.