And so it ends... and begins!

Discussion in 'Picture Show' started by Ken McDaniel, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

About a year ago we decided to retire from the Army and settle in our current area. It's a good location in the middle of Texas. We're an hour north of Austin and both our families and Aggie football are within a 2 hour drive. So we started looking for a house. One of the key pieces was a media room. I told my wife a year ago she could have any house she wanted as long as it had a dedicated media room (and not a converted bedroom). Basements are a no-go here-- everything is slab construction --so there just aren't that many houses below millionaire level where you find acceptable media rooms. After looking at hundreds of houses, we decided to build. I had no idea the process would be as stressful as it turned out. I had to visit the jobsite 2 or 3 times a day just to ward off screw-ups by whatever trades showed up that day.

Which segways to the reason this forum exists: the media room. We built our house on a ridge overlooking a lake, so we decided to combine the 2nd floor media room with a bar and a walk-out terrace. Our builder was extremely averse to doing anything structurally 'cool' (HT-wise), but I was able to con the electrician with beer and get them to run some in-wall wire and set up a gear closet. The HVAC guys did us a solid and vented the closet into the return air box. The room itself will house two separate systems: the 7.1 HT and a 2-channel tube system.
    FullSizeRender (3).jpg
    A few of you will recognize the tube amps. They're Artie's. He sold them to me around 2007 and I didn't have the room to unbox them until now. They'll sit in a cabinet with the tube preamp, turntable, DAC, phono stage, etc... Those will live below the center channel and what will be a motorized drop-down screen. The TV on the wall is for daytime viewing. There's a lot of glass on the for the terrace spewing tons of daylight. Eventually I'll replace the cheap 42" LCD with a 65" 4K.
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    The priority for now is projector and screen (affordable screen suggestions appreciated!). After that we begin work on the room, paint and panels, then on to a motorized drape over the French doors and windows. The chairs are courtesy my brother-in-law's former theater. They've been sitting in air conditioned mothballs for four years and he let me have them for free. They're in excellent conditions and I have a 4th chair, but it's going to sit out until it has some repairs.
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    That's it for now. I'll update as we move in stages and get the place cleaned up.. and the bar stocked.

And... photo hosting. Haven't played with that in a while. Anyone recommend a good site?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2016
  2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Congrats on your retirement, and on the house!