Another domino: Anchor Bay goes Blu

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Shane, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

Starz which owns Anchor Bay has declared itself on the Blu side
    They do seem to be hedging their bets but not 100% Blu.

2. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I expect one more announcement in favor of BD this week. Probably tomorrow or Thursday.

This looks to be a concerted push to try and "end the war" again. I think that the BD folks are concerned about how the jump in HD player sales are going to impact the software sales charts.

Let's see what happens over the next 2 weeks, both in terms of substained positive BD news and any counter-PR news from the HD DVD side.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

You can go ahead and just PM me about this ;)

4. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

:lol:

Remember that we are watching things under a microscope. I do give the BD promotion group credit as they are getting a ton of mainstream media out of the announcements this week.

Now it is time to see if these are cause for true momentum shift.

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

HD-DVD=The new Divx

:)

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

It could be coincidental but it could also be that people playing standby on this whole war have finally decided or had the decision made for them.

Blockbuster gave the consumer a choice and the consumers at those locations chose BR. It would be REALLY coincidental if Anchor Bay's decision was a result of the BB decision.

7. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Luckily the players were cheap ;)

8. Vincenzo

Vincenzo New Member

I would take this particular article with a grain of salt (as it's an unnamed source) but the Blockbuster decision could very well have such an impact (time will tell):...

Link

9. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

If HD-DVD actually were the new divx, I would have purchased a Blu-Ray player and a bunch of discs eons ago. divx was downright evil. I'm not aware of HD-DVD's being evil at all. As it is, I'm not quite ready to join the fray.

10. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Pardon the thread fart. I was in Sears this afternoon, and they had the LG machine on display. It had the menu page from A Night in the Musuem cycling. And that looked pretty darn good.

11. brianca

brianca New Member

So that's why they are requiring manufacturers to include an ethernet port! ;)

12. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Just got thru surfing LG's site. Here's the spec page. Kinda choked on the price, but I've spent more on this kind of stuff. And no, I didn't buy one.
    http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/tv|audio|video_digital%20video__BH100.jhtml

edit: the lg site price was $1399, and I just checked the Sears website price and it's $1199, but shows out of stock. Would be interesting to know if they're selling that many, or if it's just not in yet.
    Still gonna wait. But that's getting harder!