1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Answer these questions!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by NathanP, Jun 5, 2007.

1. NathanP

NathanP New Member

What is digital television and how does it differ from current (analog) TV technology?

When will digital television become the official standard in the United States?

When will analog television broadcasts be stopped in the United States?

What does the impending switchover mean for consumers?

What is the state of digital television in other countries?

2. NathanP

NathanP New Member

I just learned these in school..want to nkow if you guys are up to snuff

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

1) Uhm, its digital? Well, its NOT HD which is what some people keep implying.
    2) Never? Is this a trick question or in concert with #3. The point is that analog broadcast will stop whenever this goes into effect. This will have ZERO practical impact on cable or satellite users, another point that people misrepresent.
    3) see #2
    4) See #2. It depends. If you have cable or satellite which represents 86%+ of the population, it means practically nothing.
    5) don't know.

4. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

All those answers were real, ummm, helpful. Of course I don't know the answers off the top of my head either.

5. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I think CJ is planning to enter politics.

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

LOL, I think I know the point of the questions is what I was getting at. DTV will go into effect in 2009 I THINK, whatever the bill says. However, the point is 1) DTV has NOTHING to do with HDTV. DTV need not be 16:9 nor high def. Also this all impacts broadcast television only so it has no direct impact whatsoever on 86% of the population with cable or sat. That's all I'm sayin'

7. Eric

Eric Active Member

What is digital television and how does it differ from current (analog) TV technology?
    A digital broadcast specification mandated by the FCC to free up some RF frequency range currently allotted to analog broadcasts.

When will digital television become the official standard in the United States?
    [lawyer speak]Technically, ATSC is the official standard of digital TV broadcasts, so you could say it's already the standard[/lawyer speak]

When will analog television broadcasts be stopped in the United States?
    Depends on who you ask. It has been pushed back a half a dozen times (originally it was supposed to happen in 1997 or something, currently the deadline is set for Feb. 18, 2009)

What does the impending switchover mean for consumers?
    For those consumers who receive their television via antenna, a digital receiver box is going to be necessary to continue to receive it, unless they have a digital TV capable of receiving the digital signals.

What is the state of digital television in other countries?
    I have no idea.

8. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Translated into political answers:

1. Digital television represents a revolutionary technology that will bring the best broadcast picture and sound to all Americans.
    2. We must make sure that before we commit ourselves to unrealistic and dangerous deadlines that we set goals that are inclusive for all Americans, rich and poor.
    3. Again, we cannot at this time commit to any deadlines which would have the effect of disenfranchising any American from their Constitutionally protected right to quality entertainment.
    4. Again, we cannot at this time commit to any deadlines which would have the effect of disenfranchising any American from their Constitutionally protected right to quality entertainment.
    5. American must be a leader in the implementation of digital television. Comparing our current state to that of citizens in foriegn states does not do justice to those who would be otherwise disenfranchised by any so-called or otherwise unfair comparisons.

Thank you, that's all for today.

9. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Dude, that was great!!!!! :)

10. NathanP

NathanP New Member

Eric is right.

He was the only one to get #3

11. Eric

Eric Active Member

Of course, I think I'm the only one to give a 'real' answer. I'll take my prize anyway. What is it? ;)

12. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Ken: :lol:

13. NathanP

NathanP New Member

Uh.. How 'bout a hug? :)

14. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Free HTL membership. ;)

15. Eric

Eric Active Member

Hmm, a hug or a free HTL membership.....I think I'd be willing to pay for my HTL membership before accepting the hug. :?

16. NathanP

NathanP New Member

Hey, it's a friendly hug. nothin wrong with two men enjoying a hug. :)

17. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Wow...this thread veared in a direction that I didn't expect....

18. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Wait till Colton finds it....