Any Archers here?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Zak, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Zak

Zak Active Member War Zone Member

Going to be getting back into Archery from taking 15 years off. Most of the models and brands I liked back then are now old school. The new compounds are pretty amazing. Cheaper and incredible velocity. My last bow was an Oneida Screaming Eagle. I'm not looking to hunt any more just target shoot.

Though recurves are starting to peak my interest again as that was the first bow I had and there is something nice about a bow without the pulleys and gadgets.

Trying to find information on more of a pure target bow but all i can really find is information on hunting setups. Anyone here shoot just for the sport and not hunt?

2. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

I have wanted to get into it over the years, but just never got around to it. Read a very basic book to learn some things. Then I started to realize that like most things, it would nickle and dime me. Maybe one of these days.

Stefan

3. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

The last time I shot a real bow was in the Boy Scouts. Now all my archery is confined to RPGs. :)

4. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Hell I thought you were talking about Sagittarians.

My bad,

Max

5. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Bowhunter here. I use a Matthews bow, Trophy ridge sight, Limbsavers all around, whisker biscuit and I shoot Easton carbon arrows with Muzzy broadheads.

My favorite brands: Matthews, Bowflex, Hoyt and Reflex. Matthews is the Ferrari of bows, Bowflex is the Porsche.

6. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Crap dude, is there anything about you that's not all macho and badass? Please tell me you have a secret Barbie collection stashed away in a closet or something. You're making all the rest of us feel really embarrassed here. Well, at least me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Haha. For sure! :)

8. Zak

Zak Active Member War Zone Member

thanks for the info Ken. a good friend of mine/coworker is an avid bowhunter and uses a Matthews as well. he liks the Matthews and Hoyt. Going to head over to the local Archery megastore tomorrow and test a few bows.

9. Ken McDaniel

Ummmmmmmm, I've been known to sew? Like one time, in the field, I got this bad cut so I took a needle and some dental floss.....

10. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

LOL!!!!!

11. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

A real needle?! Not a cactus thorn????

12. Ken McDaniel

Damn, should have thought of that.

13. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Dental floss? Sure you didn't mean boot lace? 8)

14. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Have 2 bows, a cheapie and an Onieda. Was into it (target only) for a while, but sorta got out of it. Like to shoot with fingers (if I wanted a bow with a trigger I would buy a cross bow) and used a "glove" to good effect, but fingers soon went numb (bad) so switched to a thick pad and I just couldn't hold the same accuracy, so kinda drifted away.

Still got all the stuff including a backyard target, so may have to go out and let some fly.

I do like compound bows, but not with extreme ~80% letoff, more like 50%.

If it shoots I like it - :D

15. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Ken neglected to mention that he does all these bad-ass things while wearing a garter belt and stockings. ;)