1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Any electricians in the house?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Colton, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Four of our wall sockets are dead. Two in the master bathroom. Two in the guest bathroom. These rooms are practically side by side. The breaker box switch is all the way over, so it's not that. What else could it be? The house was built in 1983, so it doesn't have (to my knowledge) a Ground fault circuit interruptor socket. May have to call an electrician ($120/hr.) if I can't get these sockets to work. :(

HELP!!!

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Do you have GFI's inside or outside?

My parents have one outside that when it trips kills some outlets in the garage etc.

Have you switched the breaker switch off, then back on?

3. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

The breaker itself could be bad. It happens.

I suggest using candles and for three reasons. One no need for an electrician, two for the light, three....hot wax. ;)

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Sounds like you and Colton need to get a room...

Maybe Colton will wear his BatGirl outfit for ya...

:)

5. Erik

Erik Member War Zone Member

If you have a house with the little red and blue buttons on certain outlets, check those. Our guest bath upstairs went dead and the little buttons were in the bathroom downstairs. I guess they are a breaker of some sort that they put in areas where there is water on some houses.

6. Colton

I haven't seen any GFI's in the house. Just plain wall sockets. Not sure if it's hidden away someplace and haven't found it, but maybe the house didn't come with one. Very frustrating.

7. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I second the breaker being actually bad. Like everything else, these products range in price and quality and builders DO skimp. We had one go bad in our old house. In our new house, we also had one side of something in our box not secured properly so we lost power in rooms that were on different circuits. Freaked us out because we assumed it was a wiring issue and the builder was going to have to take out a bunch of drywall etc. Turned out it was three breakers that were so loose the contact with the main bar that runs down the center of the panel was actually broken.

8. Colton

So, in a nutshell, this is something a professional needs to handle. Nothing easy about fixing a breaker, I guess.

9. Alfer

Alfer New Member

We have a 1983 built house and have GFI in the bathrooms and one in the garage...you have none at all?

Unfortuneatley I'd say yes you may need call around or ask friends/co-workers if they can recommend someone.

10. CJ

Not necessarily. I won't take any responsibility if your ass gets fried, but I fixed both of the problems I described. Of course if you don't know what you're doing then yes, hire someone. If you flip the master breaker, is that bar running down the center still live? If you don't know the answer, hire someone.

11. Colton

Can you come over and fix it for me? ;)

12. CJ

LOL, if you lived in Omaha, I absolutely would fix it for you, but this would be a LONG drive :D

13. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson New Member

Completely cycle the breaker

On the other hand, I find it hard to believe that there are only 4 items on a single breaker. This leads me to believe that the first faulty receptacle in the chain has a faulty connection (marretted wires have come loose or other loose connection). Finding that faulty connection would involve taking each apart until you find the bad one.

This is a pretty easy task; turning off the breaker and grabbing a slotted and phillips (star for ladies in the crowd) and removing the coverplate and receptacle screws. Then inspect the wire connections.

If you have no idea what you are doing delving into a panel don't do it.

If it turns out to be the breaker and you have to hire someone, it's possible that they would have to bring the entire circuit up to code (which it sounds to me like it isn't), so be prepared for a larger bill than you may think.

14. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Colton: have you cycled the breaker (opened it and re-closed it?) Sometimes they trip and still LOOK like they are closed.

15. Colton

Yeah, I tried resetting the breaker, but you know what? Just because the breaker says "Bathroom" doesn't necessarily mean the wall sockets - those could be on a completely different circuit. Even though the lights might turn off when I shut the breaker - the wall sockets may still be hot. Tonight I'll flip the master switch and try that. Thanks for the feedback!

Another note: I did install a ceiling fan in the utility/laundry room a few weeks ago. Didn't have a problem then, but the problem with the wall sockets started just the other day. Should I suspect the ceiling fan (it is working)?

16. CJ

Flipping the master switch won't do anything. If there is a breaker that is mislabeled and needs cycled then you need to physically cycle it. If you're willing flip the master any way then I'd say cycle them all and use the occasion to double check and correct any mislabeled or partially labeled breakers.

17. Colton

Good idea! I'll do that. :D

18. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Well, you probably don't need to power cycle the whole house (the master switch) and it won't help if it's a tripped breaker that looks closed. You will need to cycle all the breakers you think might be the culprit. No need to flip the master switch unless you want to.... or maybe you like resetting all your digital clocks in the house. :)

19. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Yea, what CJ said. :)

20. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I'm surprised that your 1983 house has no GFI's. My house is 1979, and has a couple. But, the nut job that did the wiring let the GFI in the garage control the upstairs main bath. While the downstairs bath has it's own GFI. Look around, you may yet find them. But if not, breakers do indeed go bad, I've replaced several in my time, in this house and other places. And I also had to replace the GFI in the downstairs bath, as it went bad a couple of years ago.