Anyone else listen to Damien Rice?

Discussion in 'Music Lounge' started by chad, Jun 5, 2007.

1. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

He is one of those artists you either love or love to hate. I really enjoy his work in fact I am listening to "O" right now, the song is Amie. I enjoy his story telling and unusual music stylings. He was in town just last week but I was unable to attend, my play money for the month went to Carb day ( fun filled day at the track just before the Indy 500)

Like I said, some love to hate him, including my other half. She just cannot stand him, nor can most of the people I know. If you have not heard of him and are looking for something just a little off center check it out!

Oh, yeah, he has some pretty good bass ( figured that might help persuade some of you)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Oh man, where have you been man! Seriously, we listen to the SAME music. Damien ROCKS. I was raving about him over at HTT before it closed.

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I just listed to some sample of his "O" cd and he didn't sound that bad...although I can see you really need to be in a certain frame of mind to listen to the whole thing...had sort of a depressing sound to it...I'd give it a listen some time.

4. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Its all very mellow music. I don't know that I'd call it depressing but you can chill to it.

5. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Count me as another big Damien fan. I love the "O" cd. Nine Crimes is most excellent also if you haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

6. chad

Nikki also says Damien is depressing! I can see how some of his music can be considered as such but as a whole I don't find it to be at all. Like wine or cheese it is an aquired taste. She just happens to like cheese wiz.

Cj, if you are wearing Old Navy carpenter jeans, black flip flops, a t shirt and a kaki adidas hat right now there is a serious problem, some sort of strange cosmic energy.

7. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

LOL, no. But it sounds like I'd like to work where you work :D

8. TimB

TimB New Member

A decided fan, tho not rabid. We tend to use Volcano quite often in our listening tests at our local meets. I wouldn't say I'd find his music as dark as say introspective.

9. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Before CJ was ranting about Rice on HTT, I had to google lyrics from the Closer soundtrack just to figure out who the hell sang the tune "Blower's Daughter." I've earmarked his "9" album in Rhapsody and plan on adding it to my collection.

10. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Blower's Daughter is one of my favorite songs by Rice. I don't think you will disappointed with "9".

11. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Or, have never heard of. :)

12. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Put me in the "completely indifferent" category. Not someone I choose to listen to, but not someone who causes me to get whiplash lunging for the radio dial if one of his songs gets played. Although this is a comparison to a completely different sort of music, Rice is in the same category in my mind as, say, Pussycat Dolls. :)

13. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with Rice, but OUCH :lol:

14. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Not saying much if all you are is indifferent about both. You could easily put him in the same category as Dylan if you were indifferent to him and you would get a completely different reaction. But it kind of shoots down the love it or hate it theory :D

15. chad

Cj, you would not want to work where I work, our jobs were outsourced. We knew it was coming for quite some time as over the past few years or so we lost 2 other departments. Ironically, about 9 months ago, a group came to our office to find how we operate. We had no idea we were training them... Luckily, I learned some valuable things that will help me find work that before had only closed doors.

Chris, don't mind David. I think he is just jealous that he can't "sing" as well as Damien.

16. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I'm in as a big fan.

17. chad

If you did not already know, the end of "O" has 2 hidden songs but the end of "9" kind of ticks me off because it keeps playing like there will be a hidden song, but then not...

18. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Oh, bummer.

19. chad

Not really a bummer at all. Sure, I don't have a job right now but "It's all good in the neighborhood" I had a pretty good interview on Friday and just heard from Conseco this morning, they are a bit of a drive though (close to 30 miles I think)

I am just using this time to spend with my kids because when I am at work I am gone from about 8:30 in the morning until almost 7 at night, that was with a 5 minute drive.