1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Apocalypto - Another feast for your senses

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Shane, May 23, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

Mel has his own personal issues and demons but the man can make a visionary film. I've already seen Apocalypto so I'll start up a new thread about the film in the movie section but I wanted to comment on the BR disc here.

First it's a Disney release. For those of us that have followed DVD and the reviews of them, we know that non-animated Disney films are often labeled as poor quality DVD's. Lots of Edge enhancement and hardly ever a reference quality transfer.

With Blu Ray, Disney is far and away the most consistent and putting out top shelf AV.

Apocalypto was filmed in the Mayan jungle on location with various film types and it shows. While the source material might be inconsistent, It never IMHO wavered from reference quality. Tier 0 if you follow that nonsense. I was literally floored. You might notice some smearing from time to time but it was there when I was at the theater. I assume its an intended affect.

Audio is in Mayan PCM 5.1 with subtitles and gets quite aggressive. It's definitely a compliment to the film and adds to the tension.

Apocalypto on Blu Ray gets my highest recommendation if the film is for you.

2. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

I couldn't agree more. The picture quality is excellent, even for the parts I covered my eyes :oops: . Sound quality was even better imo, even during scenes with little going on, the ambiance was incredible. Dynamics were also impressive, from a whisper to a crowd of hundreds cheering- every little detail was evident. I was leary of watching this one but can only highly recommend a viewing.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I'll be renting this one.

4. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

i can't wait to see this movie...I've been intrigued since I saw the original trailer, just never made it to the theater.

JL

5. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Thanks Shane
    I saw this Theatrically & was impressed,
    I'm still on the sidelines for BR & HD-DVD.
    I intially bought a HD-DVD & LIke David Yohn
    I eventually gave it ways as a present.

I'd like to re-visit this film...

6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

I will refrain from discussing the content as I have my own issues with this movie, but I agree it is visually stunning. A really beautifully photographed film, no doubt, and one that in HD should look great.

7. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright New Member

Makes me wish I had blue ray. Oh well, I'll have to rent the SD DVD. Excellent movie, IMO.

8. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I watched this last night and my head is swimming. I'll try to spill it here and see what comes out... Many people might not like my post but I want to have a real discussion about this film.

The theme of the movie is ostensibly that all fallen societies fell because the seeds of destruction are sown internally... From a wikipedia article on the movie,
    So Mel is saying that modern "empires" are crumbling now as well. Knowing Mel views himself as a born again Christian and has used faith (more subtly in Signs, obviously less subtly in The Passion...) in other films, I wonder if he thinks this is due to modern societies movement away from faith/religion. I also think its strange that Gibson clearly depicts their ceremonies in a negative light with the priests and elders manipulating and controlling the people through fear and mysticism. I find this ironic since this charge is often leveled against modern organized religion.

Of course one cannot talk about this film or one like it without dealing with the the historical accuracy and depiction of the peoples in the film. I'm always frustrated by these types of films because while I don't know why David doesn't want to talk about it, obviously he has a problem with what is depicted here. Yet there are scholars and natives who essentially sign off on the film as being fairly accurate. Are they shilling? I don't think that one white man can speak for the entire race but on the other hand, what am I supposed to think as an outsider when I hear that this stuff DID indeed happen? Is it not the facts but rather the depiction of them that is at issue? That is, the Mayans practiced human sacrifice, but not in the manner nor on the scale that was depicted in the film?

I also find Gibson's choice to use the Mayans interesting.
    OK, yeah, but you didn't SHOW any of that stuff. You only showed them brutalizing other tribes, murdering people on mass scale, and utterly destroying their environment.

In the end this was a chase film, there is no denying that, however the setting and characters definitely upped the stakes. I liked Gibson's choice of making this a foreign language film as it really draws you in. My final opinion is probably not completely formed and I'd really like to have an in-depth discussion about the themes of the film and their relevance to modern society as well as the (in)accuracies in the portrayal of the Mayan culture.

9. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

CJ, I have no problem talking about this movie, but it is likely to become an extremely political discussion and that is why I choose to not bring my criticisms to this forum.

10. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

I've seen this twice now and it impresses me as a work of fiction. I have not studied the Mayans in any kind of depth but am aware of many of their cultural contributions and their final downfall. I am certain that this film is not a reference for who the Mayans were and should not be viewed as such. I guess that's why I don't get too worked up over it's historical inaccuracies. I didn't watch Titanic, We Were Soldiers, Saving Private Ryan, Pearl Harbor, The Untouchables, Thirteen Days, or any other "history-based" movie as the be-all-end-all authority of the events of that time period.

Apacolypto was an interesting film that glimsed a forgotten by many culture. Maybe it will inspire people to do their own research and truly learn about the people who were in the Americas prior to European influence.

11. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Yes, and we all know that Braveheart was historically accurate. I enjoyed this for what it was: a violent and bloody primitive chase movie.

Seriously, did anyone besides myself notice how ridiculously accurate the hunters were at throwing spears at moving objects at almost a football field away. I almost died laughing when my mom yelled out, "look, they're zigzagging, how smart." I thought to myself:

"no shit."

12. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, I also did a little eye rolling during the fish in a barrel hunting scene.

13. Shane

Shane Active Member

Mel doesn't claim it's a work of non-fiction. I don't think he ever has but I could be mistaken. I've seen atleast 10 or so shows on the movie at not once did he say "it's non-fiction". Truth be told I do care to a point about historical accuracy but I don't appreciate the liberties that Michael Bay took with Pearl Harbor. There are other examples but that one is the most obvious.

One thing is for sure, Mel can and does make captivating motion pictures. I simply couldn't take my eyes off of it and he does it HIS way. What amazes me most is there were no actors in this film. These were people he grabbed and made them "act".