1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Apple brings Safari to Windows

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Jason Lorette, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Bring OS-X out for generic hardware platforms and I'll be happy. Still, kind of cool.

3. Eric

Eric Active Member

Yeah, that'd be nice. Of course then they'd have to support the billions of combinations of different hardware. They'd end up having to deal with the same crap MS does. It'd be a nightmare for them.

Though, maybe a couple of "reference platforms". Support a limited set of hardware. It could be doable.

4. CJ

Then maybe all the smug macophiles could stop pretending their system doesn't ever crash or give error messages or need reinstalled. But seriously, I understand the problems with being open to all hardware platforms. I wish more Mac people would understand it too.

5. Jason Lorette

I might download this and give it a spin around my machine at home...

6. CJ

I'll give it a spin too. I'm kind of a browser whore. Though I'm VERY comfortable with firefox. Got my extensions all installed etc.

7. Jason Lorette

Oh yes....I do like my FF.

8. Eric

Eric Active Member

Just so you know, I'm a macophile. And I realize the issues MS faces, which is one of the reason's I'm a macophile.

Oh, and I will probably end up trying out the new Safari, though I'm a firefox user both at home and at work. Something about Safari never set well with me.

9. Jason Lorette

I just downloaded it at work...and am browsing HTL here with it with this post...will play more at home.

10. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

Anyone have a list of Safari benefits? First thing I did when I got my Mac (got it for video editing almost exclusively) was install Firefox because I was comfortable with it.

But I did switch from IE to Firefox years ago because of good solid points of why it was better. Is there anything about Safari that is better than Firefox?

11. Eric

Eric Active Member

I think even Apple has only bragged about its rendering speed. Give it a whirl if you want. You may find something you really like. I don't see myself switching over full time from Firefox though.

12. cjd

cjd New Member

Funny...

Linux does pretty well...

Oh... Safari Beta goes boom. crashes. Nice start.

So, Safari has the best standards support by a little, and definitely performs better on the Mac (vs. Firefox). But it's missing a lot of the community support Firefox offers (the plug-ins and stuff) and features are a little different.

C

13. CJ

GAHHH, don't know why I'm letting myself get sucked into this, but I'm a pretty advanced PC user. Not at your level but better than most and I find Linux to be pretty trying. I don't think I ever even figured out how to install an application before I quit using it. I tried red hat and mandrake back in about 2003ish and it was just painful.

14. cjd

cjd New Member

Yup.

If you have a spare CD give Ubuntu a whirl (if you care). It's so far beyond anything that was available even a year ago, let alone 4...

Also, don't expect it to work like Windows. Familiarity is often mistaken for better when it comes to things like computers. You don't have to go CLI, though I find it easier.

sudo dpkg -i filename.deb ;) Or, you know, you can click through it. But 99.9% of my work is through aptitude (package manager). Nice GUI for that, or CLI.

If you do move beyond the LiveCD (the install CD boots and runs so you can try it out without ever installing) make sure to get Automatix2 as that takes almost all the rest of the headache out of things.

You can read my thoughts on Ubuntu vs Windows elsewhere here, as I just put a new system togher. Windows is *still* not finished getting everything installed and working. Though partly because I have no need yet. I bet another 3-4 hours including software installs and downloads.

C

15. CJ

I would definitely give something a whirl if I can try it before I have to install it. Just need to find the time now. Do you use any windows emulation? or do you just reboot to windows or use a different system for that?

16. cjd

cjd New Member

I use WINE for WoW and Speaker Workshop. It's not emulation, but it's commonly called that. I'll probably have to toss MS Word in under WINE as well for resume work. On my old system I had Fireworks running under WINE, but haven't got it there on the new box (it's not installed in Windows on the new one yet so I'm not surprised/worried just yet).

Almost everything else I need is available native to linux, and legally free. Songbird for iPod integration, Firefox, Thunderbird, the OpenOffice suite, Gnucash. For multimedia stuff, Automatix2 really makes the difference giving easier (as in, check a checkbox and install) access to the codecs/programs you need.

For serious photography work I'll hop over to Windows to use Photoshop - the Wacom is a little more stable/configurable on a multi-monitor setup in Windows as well. It's not common hardware so it takes a bit more tinkering - I may get it working as I want yet in linux but so far zero time invested in that. Photoshop, too, can run under Linux if you start with it installed on Windows and jump through some hoops. GIMP is pretty good, so I use it for most things. But the serious work, Photoshop is still way ahead.

DO get an i386 version even if you have an a64 cpu. At least until you're more comfortable with things. It's about as far behind on drivers as Windows64 ;)

Oh yeah - most important! Solitaire is installed by default. ;)

You won't be able to install new stuff running LiveCD but you'll be able to mess around and get a grasp of the tools.

Plus, if you decide to mess with Beryl I suspect you'll be hooked.

It does a great job of repartitioning in my experience...

C

17. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member

Jobs has said numerous times that the he's a firm believer in tying the hardware and the software together vs the MS approach to trying to make it work on anything which menas I very much doubt we'll see OSX being made available to the generic box market. If anything I see them making more of their software available to the Linux/Windows world with iLife being the obvious next major app to get ported over.

I installed Safari on my work PC (I'm a mac user at home) and I didn't like it too much as I find the fonts far to soft. I'm a die hard FF user though both on XP and OSX so it'd have to be something pretty special to get me to switch...I just gotta have my plugins ;)

18. Jason Lorette

On thing I do like is the speed...I just downloaded it here at home and am giving it a spin...I use FF totally at home and work so we'll see how it goes.

i must say I don't use a lot of the plugins that FF offers...they are mostly useless too me...mostly.

19. Shane

Shane Active Member

I'll try Safari and see how it goes. I have Mozilla, IE and Opera so one more browser won't hurt :)

20. Shane

Shane Active Member

It feels like a basic Firefox so far. It's very fast slick.

The base font is VERY easy on my eyes(combined with my 20" LCD.