1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Apple Music compatible streaming devices

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by CJ, Nov 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I'm putting this together for my own shopping list but was hoping to get some additional input. I'm looking to acquire a streaming device that has a variety of "apps" but I'm particularly interested in devices that can stream Apple Music. My short list so far is:

• Apple TV
    • Apple Airport?
    • iOS device (e.g. iPod, iPhone, iPad)
    • Windows PC
    • Mac
    • Sonos devices

The Sonos device is most up my alley as it is more of a set top box / appliance type of device. Are there any similar devices that support Apple music that come with more of a hi-fi pedigree? The Apple TV I already have but it only outputs one sample rate and the newest iteration is HDMI output only which is not very hi-fi friendly.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

How will this be used...and what will it be plugged into? I.e. stand alone device used with its own remote vs device plugged into HiFi using iPhone as a remote.

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Anything with Air Play, and then use your phone or iPad as a controller.

4. CJ

I'm open to either. My historical setup has been a "device" or STB in the form of an Apple TV. However, I'd be open to using a phone/tablet as a remote.

Sure, but doesn't this limit your ability to play high-res content? Isn't airplay simply "casting" the content from your phone to a receiver. So if you have lossless tracks in your iTunes library you're not going to be playing those, you'll be playing the lower resolution versions on your phone or in the cloud.

Maybe I'm looking more for a jack of all trades. I am heavily Apple invested already but something that could also stream from say Tidal and output high-res content would be desirable too. I actually need to check my Anthem tonight as it has built in DTS Play-Fi but I don't know if that is compatible with Apple Music or not. I know it works with Spotify and Tidal.

5. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

Libratone Zipp and B&W Zeppelin come to mind.

With Airplay you do get CD quality lossless but Hi Res tracks are down sampled.

I know you can get iTunes through Playfi and they did update for Hi Res compatibility so playing tracks off a server will get you great sound. Products are limited though.

6. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

I use an Airport Express as wifi receiver and plug into a 2-ch receiver (mini-plug to L&R rca's) . I choose the AE from my computer that manages iTunes to stream ALAC Files, then control iTunes using Remote app.

The phone (or iPad) is only used to control iTunes, not provide content.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  7. CJ

Jim, that's something I considered too, or at least, something like it. I know you can control iTunes from your iPhone so I've thought about just hooking up a Mac Mini. The difference being that then I can play whatever is in my library at native resolution from the PC. AE will re-sample everything to 44.1k.

But now that I've gotten my brain going this direction, step one tonight will be to check out what is available through Play-Fi which is built into my Anthem.

8. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Gotcha. I still use an iPod Classic in my car, which won't accept higher than 48kHz anyway, so I just settle for the measly 44.1k in my library as well. I can't tell the diff.

9. Steve Wright

Steve Wright Active Member War Zone Member

I put my lossless and hi res tracks on my NAS and stream it with Playfi. Since my anthem and sound bar support it. Was thinking of getting another Playfi speaker of some kind. Airplay just has too many connectivity issues.

10. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Apple doesn't play well with high-res files, and Apple Music is not lossless. In order to play back both Apple lossless files and high-res files (and anything else) I'm using ROON and loving it. But of course ROON will never have Apple Music since only Sonos has been given access outside the Apple ecosystem, but ROON does support Tidal.

In any case, I suppose it's all about what's important to you. You could always use multiple devices for your various sources. I have an Apple TV in my system only to support MPB.com. :)

11. CJ

Yeah... the exception to the "one device" caveat would be a media computer. I still hold out hope that Apple will over high res music and a way to play it back at native resolution but that's probably a foolish hope.

12. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

FYI, Roon has expanded what can be used as an endpoint (Roon Player) to include Apple TV. I just enabled my ATV3 in the software, connected via optical to my DAC, and am streaming high-res flac (24/96) from the Roon Server to it. Sounds fantastic.

13. CJ

Cool!

14. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I have a music server computer, in my case a PC fitted with Jriver and it will play back any file you wish to store, be it ALAC, FLAC or even WAV. This program works on apple products and I use a simple Itouch to make it work. This can also work obviously even if you use iTunes as your library but as mentioned you are limited in playback files.

I have also of late been experimenting with my ipad or iphone sending music directly to my AVR via network connection and that works ok in my case. Problem with using these is they cannot hold a large library.

Never the less, I am thinking I read the initial post wrong :(

15. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

Didn't Apple announce recently they were dumping Airport routers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. CJ

I'd heard rumors they might be getting out of the router game.

17. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

Rumours only at this point but they haven't updated their routers in a long time. They're still excellent routers and there isn't really a better option for Time Machine backups but that said more and more routers have USB ports on them to attach drives and the majority of people I know just use the ISP supplied router so I have to think the market for routers in general is limited.