1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Approaching Neutral

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by CJ, Sep 6, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

It seems like the take away is it is equally important to convince yourself your hardware is good as it is for your hardware to actually be good.

Approaching Neutral

2. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Video and audio, all good here!

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

The take away for me is the same as what's been pursued in audio reproduction since the 60's: start with neutral performance. Flat is not neutral, but it allows one to get close to neutral. Choose components that do not color or intrude onto the sound, that do not emphasize nor drop a frequency band. And then listen for yourself and give weight to your personal preferences. I've always said that the most important part of any audio chain lies between the listener's ears. Perception is everything. The author is saying choose gear that allows your own perception to decide if you enjoy the results rather then something that forces the issue by creating a sound signature of its own.

CJ likes this.
  4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I think that's a good summation David. I also find interesting, his concept of moving between experiential and analytical listening and how it can be more difficult for certain people and based on experience. I find a little wine puts me in the experiential zone more easily.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    DYohn likes this.
  5. Rick C

Rick C Member

The article makes a lot of sense to me. Shoot for neutral and you can always add your own flavorings with other controls in the system. One thing I find frustrating is the lack of any consistency in recordings and movies. Some mixed or delivered so hot in the bass and others devoid of bass as an example. Any frequency or range can be highlighted in the mix or even added by the channel.

Another huge variable is my mood and demeanor. Am I focused on the music or is it just background. Have I had a scotch and am I sitting in the dark listening to tunes. This all makes the hobby interesting and at the same time frustrating. There is no holy grail of what is right and what next equipment purchase will make it perfect - just enjoy the moments when everything; equipment, recording and mood fall in place.

CJ and DYohn like this.
  6. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

Makes a lot of sense. Flat response should not be the goal, just as the owner of Genesis speakers (bankrupt). I like gear that you can tell the difference between the bass guitar and drum(s), cymbals do not sound like bacon frying in a pan and does not suck the dynamics out of the sound.

7. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

We can shoot for neutral in the reproduction of ore-recorded music. But isn't the music already biased by the recording engineer's biases?

8. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Phase Linear (aka Bob Carver) used to advertise their preamps as "straight wire with gain". To me that would be neutral. But speakers & headphones methinks are subject to what ever the user likes to hear. I've long since given up recommending speakers to friends/family. I just tell them to buy what they like the sound of. I tried to get into listening to headphones long ago and gave up. Just could not find any that sounded good to me that were also comfortable to wear.
    David's point is well taken.