1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Article/Commentary on Blu-Ray "fumbling" in the ma

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Michael, Jun 14, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

No groundbreaking news, but just some observations from the media. As well all know, perception is a big part of the war since it influences consumers.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/davis061307.htm

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Meh........More of the same back and forth rhetoric..and on top of it it comes from a blogger type source.

Zzzzzzzzz

:roll:

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Yes, it is aggravating when people keep posting the same comment about the same topic repeatedly, isn't it :roll:

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

The key point being "at or below cost." While this is a great idea to move inventory, it is not a sustainable strategy.

5. CJ

I think the top selling BD players are still being sold at below cost as well, so it'll be a matter of who can hold their breath the longest.

6. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

So where are the actual sales numbers? With all the cheap HD-DVD players we should be seeing them claw back from behind BD with media sales, no?

7. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Probably.

Just for some historical perspective, it took about 4-6 weeks after the PS3 release to see the BD software numbers really swing up. I will say that the sustained sales rate of Batman Begins tells me that new people are getting involved in the format and picking up "older" AAA titles when they do.

8. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I could see Sony selling Blu-Ray below cost but why would Panasonic, Pioneer, or any other company sell below their cost.

I also thought there were other companies selling HD-DVD players, but the other manufacturers seem to have disappeared completely. IT is starting to seem that except for some combo players Toshiba is it on the HD-DVD hardware front.

Word on the LG combo has not really been good and it looks like you could buy one of each for less and get better performance as well.

Nax

9. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

The LG combo was not a true combo as it never even tried to get the official HD DVD logo.

The Samsung will be an interesting combo machine. I can't remember if the Onkyo machine is going to be HD DVD only or a combo, but I know it is supposed to be out this year.

10. CJ

Notice how I said the top selling, not all. There's a reason that NEW (not being cleared out) 3rd party BD players are ALL still over a grand.

11. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Is this true? I remember the assertion being made for Gen 1.

12. CJ

Its probably an assumption but it SEEMS like a fair one. $300? IDK, maybe not. Only Toshiba really knows.

13. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

$300 on the end of the chain, how much of that goes for parts, assembly, packaging and then shipping and if they are making money on them I don't see where because they still have to deal with warranty issues and tech support as well.

IT would be tough to seem them turning a profit here. I think it is safe to say Toshiba wants to win the war not to make money on first and 2nd gen hardware but to make money on Disc royalties that would be rolling in for years IF HD-DVD wins the format war.

Like wise Sony wants the same thing.

Max

14. Shane

Shane Active Member

Actually no.

Samsung $799
    Sony $799
    Panasonic is replacing theirs with the new one at $599
    Pioneer's new one is <$1k.

AFAIK the PS3 is the only BR player being sold at a loss.

15. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

and the new Sony @ $599!

16. Shane

Shane Active Member

Try $499. :)

They lowered the price.

17. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Even better, my bad. :)