1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

At what age do you give your kids cell phones?

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Ron-P, May 18, 2007.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

My daughter turned 10 in February, she got her own cell phone yesterday. It was an add to our plan so it's only $9.99 / month and the camera phone was free, so I said, why not? No reason she shouldn't have one that I could think of.

2. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Active Member

my daughter had a firefly phone at 7. she 9 now, and we are considering a conventional phone, but the firefly has some awsome parental control options that i dont want to give up. also on a family plan so the 12 bucks (9.99 and taxes) a month isnt so bad.

3. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Phones help but the kids need to know they have the phone's for your benefit not theirs. They are so you can contact when you need to and they must answer them when you want them.

Sure they can call their friends also but first and formost it is to provide you a link to them and them a link to you.

Max

4. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Ummm...personally....never. I just don't see the need...mind you I am not a parent...but cell's weren't even around when I was a kid...I made do...?

JL

5. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

I'm not a parent either, but I have a different philosophy: I think any child that's old enough to be away (not counting school) with friends (even if with the friend's parents) would benefit from having a cell phone. For the young ones I'd get them a cell phone that can only call out to certain numbers.

6. Adil M

Adil M New Member

Phones are ok, but long distance GPS collars w/ optional talk and shock capabilities are preferred.

7. Tom R S 4

A good way to keep the little brats in line! :lol:

8. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

My first thought is similar to Jason's. Cell phones are primarily a luxary that none of us had when we were kids (well, except for Drew :)). But we live in a different place now. We found a pay phone if we were out and needed to make a call. But how many pay phones do you see these days versus back then? Not as many. So, as much as I would like to think things like cell phones are not necessary, if I had a kid who was out at the mall with a friend, I would want them to have a cell phone. But I do have to say that I probably wouldn't ket my kid out in public on his or her own until at least 7th grade.

Stefan

9. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I believe my friends got their son a phone when he was 12-13 and getting heavily into Scouts. It was easier for him to arrange for transportation from Scouts and other social things with his own phone.

- Steve

10. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

I guess it goes along with other things...teach them to respect it...and not abuse it...then perhaps. If it's out of necessity/security but just because they 'want' it so they can text there BFF from across the street, nuh uh...get off you lazy ass and ring the doorbell.

11. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Active Member

thats part of why i like the firefly phone. i have it programmed to my cell and her moms. it wount call or recieve calls form any other numbers. if somone gets ahold of her number and calls it, it just rings busy.

that security is password protected, and cant be reset. (forget the password and your screwed though...)

http://www.fireflymobile.com/

(i got mine from Target)

my phone was factory unlocked, so i just poped in a sim from my family plan provider (tmobile) and the phone worked like it should, but on my plan insted of 25c per min. prepaid.

12. Tom R S 4

If I had a child, this is the type of phone I would get for them (Until they turned 18, anyway. :wink: )

13. NathanP

NathanP New Member

12-13ish..

I'm pretty sure that I will be able to keep my 7 year old out of situations that will require cell phone usage.

14. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Active Member

divorce creates some unique situations. the phone wasnt needed per se, but made it really easy for my daughter to get ahold of one, while in the care of the other.

15. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

I never "gave" my kids a cell phone. They bought their own when they could afford to pay their own cell phone bills.

16. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Exactly why we got one. Just last night a neighbor took her and 4 other friends (her same age) to see Shrek. It gave us peace of mind knowing she had it, and that, is worth the cost alone.

17. Josh Dial

Josh Dial New Member

Whatever age his/her friends get one...

Kids don't need any extra reasons to be ridiculed or bugged, and not having "cool parents" or something else certainly won't help. Just get one of those protected phones or plans and call it a learning experiment. Someone who handles the maturity required for a cell phone deserves maybe a little more leeway down the line on other matters.

cheers!

Josh

18. My kids got their phones when they no longer were young enough to go to the after school program. We wanted them to have phones since we needed to call them every day during the hour and a half they are home without us.

19. Alfer

Alfer New Member

My sister got her 10 year old the Firefly and is really happy with it.

Hopefully your kiddo isn't truning the phone into a text messenging toy cause you're bills will skyrocket unless you have the unlimited TXT plan...cause we all know kids don't always "talk" on the phone, the spend they're day texting...both in and out of school etc.

20. mark j

mark j New Member

My son got a cell when he went to a school game and was to call us when he wanted to be picked up but he had to barrow a phone because there were no public phones. He is 14. He knows it is for us parents. I feel better now that he can call us no matter where he is.