1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

    Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Back from Vegas and Reno.

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Shane, Jun 8, 2007.

  1. Shane

    Shane Active Member

    Left last Thursday night and got back late last night. I want to say it was a smooth trip but it wasn't.

    We arrived in Vegas around 11pm. It was 97 degrees outside still. Sadly the cab driver didn't exactly know where our hotel was. I guess since we were staying at a normal hotel and not a casino, it threw him for a loop.

    Left for Reno the next morning and Southwest lost our luggage. This wouldn't have been a big deal but the wedding we were attending was in 2 hrs. Luckily Southwest found it and we went to the wedding. I have to say that while it was fast to get onto and off of a Southwest flight, I really hate the chaos to accompanies it. Reno is surprisingly small. The whole town is a mere 200,000 people which is 1/2 or so of Tulsa. We did take a detour over to an "In and Out" burger place and it was still as good as I remember. I have to say the place is growing on me. It's fast food but damn good compared to fast food.

    Saturday afternoon we spent the afternoon touring Lake Tahoe and the surrounding areas. Don't try this with a 4 cyl rental car if you do this in the future. The Chrysler we had was gutless in those mountains. Still once you get down by the lake, it's an amazing place. It's like a different world there. But be prepared for some sticker shock. $5 for an ice cream cone??

    Once we arrived back in Vegas on that Sunday I saw a sight I didn't know how to respond to. Some lady was using the crack of her boobs as a cell phone holder...

    I have to say Tom was right as it was quite HOT while I was there. Sun, Mon, and Tues averaged over 100 degrees but the heat wasn't that bad as there was no humidity. It felt hotter when I arrived in Dallas. It was 85 in Dallas with 80% humidity. I'll take 105 degree heat with no humidity any day.

    Beyond that I didn't do a whole lot while I was there. I played a little poker and was quite pissed about the result. $45 to play in a no limit tournament. Winner got something around $2700 with everyone up to the top 6 getting paid. I was #3 in chips and was dealt 2 Kings. I raised and had 2 callers. Flop was A-K-J. I had 3 Kings and bet it. 2 callers. Turn was another King. I checked knowing I would go all in but wanted 2 suckers to join me. I get 2 callers. First guy had A-A which means he had a full house. I had 4 Kings and my neighbor next to me had 2 Jacks for a full house as well but he was drawing dead. There was 1 card in the deck that could beat me and it came out on the river so I was outrivered holding quad kings.

    Wife was happy though as she got a new purse from Guess.

    The weather got unseasonably nice as the week wore on. Wed and Thursday it was around 80 degrees with a nice wind. Near Perfect if you ask me.

    I'll post some pics later.
     
  2. Tyson

    Tyson New Member

    I couldn't agree with you more, being from Houston myself.

    I visited Lake Tahoe in the early 70's as a child. I don't think it was nearly developed at that point. I can only imagine what everything else besides ice cream must cost. I've heard stories of how packed it can get during certain times of the year there. Almost doesn't sound fun by the descriptions I've gotten from people who were there during the peak season. Was it crowded while you were there?
     
  3. Shane

    Shane Active Member

    It was crowded but only because of a bike rally and only in the South Lake area near the big casinos. The 100 mile bike or something as they called it. Other than South Lake Tahoe it wasn't that bad.
     
  4. Dan Driscoll

    Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member


    Damn, I wouldn't know whether to cry or laugh hysterically. Lose with 4 kings to a RF? I can't even imagine the odds against that. :shock:
     
  5. Graeme

    Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

    He lost to Quad Aces, not a RF. Odds are actually worse than losing to a RF. With that one out there was a 2% chance of that card coming up.

    Graeme
     
  6. Allen

    Allen New Member War Zone Member

    I would personally take it as a sign to never play poker again if I lost holding 4 Kings - 98% chance you've won, and the 2% chance hits.

    Tahoe is gorgeous, but is best visited BEFORE Memorial Day or AFTER Labor Day - that's when the crowds thin out tremendously.

    I'd like to see your pics, Shane.
     
  7. Stefan

    Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

    Well, other than the lost luggage part, it doesn't sound like it was not smooth. You have got to expect high prices in a resort town like Lake Tahoe. And losing money is part of the deal at Las Vegas. I hate losing money, but I know that the odds are way against me. Hot weather is typical and you even got some cooler temps. Wife's happy. Laughed at the cell phone boob thing. Could have been worse :).

    Stefan
     
  8. Mike B

    Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

    What a great poker story. It will always be great even though you lost. I bet you were just counting your money too, I know I would have been.

    Poker has always been my favorite casino game. Started playing (penny poker) when I was 9. Started playing 7 card stud (1 to 3) in Vegas 25 years ago. I could play constantly for 12 hours a day for 3-4 days straight and go up or down a couple hundred bucks - :D

    And now the irony. Back then Poker was not popular and did not get the intense coverage it gets now. But in the casinos there were huge poker rooms with 50 to 100 tables, pleanty of low stake games and you didn't have to wait long for a seat.

    Now its on TV constantly and you can't find a 7 card stud game to save your life. Just 4-8 holdem games that cost ya pleanty or tournaments.

    :(
     
  9. Graeme

    Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

    When I was in Vegas last they had 7 card at the Mirage and the Bellagio. Not sure what the Bellagio was, but the Mirage was $1-2. And I was playing $1-2 at the Mirage (and play $1-2 on occasion here). I agree, you do have to wait for a table a bit longer, but hey. :)

    Shane, don't feel so bad. My buddy was playing $10-20 and lost $4k in one hand. A guy with a huge stack was on tilt and trying to bully, and my buddy knew it. He was going all-in non-stop. So my buddy was patient, waited for a quality hand. He got A,K suited, other guy goes all in. He calls. Other guy has J,2 unsuited. My buddy loses $4000 when a J shows up on the turn.

    Graeme
     
  10. Shane

    Shane Active Member

    I lost a whole $45 for my ~3 hrs of play. I can't really complain. If I didn't have the money to lose, I wouldn't be playing.

    I had great luck up until that point so that's poker for you. They did have 7 card and some omaha if that's your thing. I just prefer 1-2 no limit mostly. I don't like limit as it "limit" me on how I play. People tend to call more often playing limit than no limit. It's more about the cards than the people and I prefer it the other way around.

    Stefan,
    There were other things beyond the lost luggage and the lost cab driver. I liked the Mirage but I was constantly having issues but I know from experience that this was rare. The TV in the room only had 1 channel working(in spanish no less), the plumbing in the first room was going out so we moved to a 2nd room which had a TV on the fritz. The light fixture was flaky yada yada.

    For Colton, they did have a place called Bare. $25 to get in but it's completely topless.

    Once I finish unpacking I'll break out the pictures.
     
  11. Mike B

    Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

    Hehe.

    Exactly why I like limit. I like to comp the cocktail cutie every run she makes. And I would much prefer to watch her ass than the people at the table. If I only have to worry about the cards, I don't have to worry about drinking too much booze and having too much fun.

    Which is another reason I don't like holdem. You have the same hand as everyone else (real close) so these guys have all the angles and odds worked out and so you do the "find the sucker thing" and realize it's you...

    Seven card is friendly, holdem is cutthroat.
     

Share This Page