1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

BBQ fabricating resources

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Zak, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Zak

Zak Active Member War Zone Member

I love to cook some Q. Not grill, but good low and slow cooking. I'm currently using an older Brinkmann Pit'N'Smoke/Pitmaster smoker/grill. I really need to get an offset firebox for it and Brinkmann does not sell just the firebox any longer. I have no clue where to look for someone to make one. I've made some very good ribs, chicken, brisket etc in the smoker as it is but want the offset to get more room inside the main chamber.

Any thoughts?

I'm also very excited as i'm heading to Kansas City, KS in a few weeks for work and cannot wait to get some good wet ribs. Mmmmmmmmm.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

You need to find a small town guy that runs a welding shop and have him rig something up for you...

3. Zak

Zak Active Member War Zone Member

Tough part around here is there are not many that have anything you can use to cook in.

4. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

I will dig around a little for you but on one episode of Good Eats Alton made his own slow cooker / smoker for under $50. He used an electric burner, a pan with blocks of wood and placed this inside of a large terra cotta pot. He then placed a grill grate in the top, mean on the grate and then used another pot on top.

Ok, I was not able to find the exact one that Alton made, but, it looks like a LOT of people have made their own varation of this with great results. Here is the closest match to the one Alton made.

http://twothirds.org/2005/09/26/smoking-pot-a-cheap-terracotta-flower-pot-smoker-ala-alton-brown/

Here is another one

http://www.kevincooney.com/archives/000139.php

I think I might just try this myself.

5. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

zak, those are a dime a dozen in Texas where the heavy guage pipe is readily available from the petroleum industry. A good one from a decent welder will set you back around $300-$500.

Oklahoma Joe makes a pretty decent one for a mass manufacturer. Here's a used one on eBay:

Oklahoma-Joes-1-4-Steel-Construction-BBQ-Wood-Smoker

1/4" steel pipe is pretty much that standard for a good smoker. I never liked the Brinkmann's as heat and smoke leaked out the seams. Something like the Oklahoma Joe would last years and years and years.

6. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

If you were closer we could rig you up something and weld it up. I'm sure there are other out there where you live. Go to a few car shows and you'll find the fabricators.

Speaking of Oklahoma Joes - google it and go when you are in KC. They have two restaurants in KC (I believe - I always go to the Overland Park one) and their food is gooooood. I was in KC all weekend and enjoyed some Gates BBQ. Google Gates too - cause it's gooooood too :lol: . There are several in town. And of course Arthur Bryants. That's my brothers favorite and a KC tradition.

Where are you staying in KC? I'm up there almost every other month so my wife can shop. Big Cabela's in town and a small Bass Pro Shop if you're into that kind of thing. I camp a lot, so I love those stores.

7. Ken McDaniel

Jeff, we're moving to Leavenworth this month, might have to take you up on that. :wink:

8. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Something I'll never get used to - folks who call it BBQ when they cook on a grill. Cooking on a grill is grilling. BBQ is BBQ. Is that just a Southern thing?

9. JeffC

BBQ is low heat cooking. Grilling is med to high heat. You can do both on a grill. What bugs me is people who say they are having a BBQ and then they produce hamburgers and hot dogs. That's a cookout here. If you're having a BBQ, you better have links and brisket or ribs.

10. JeffC

Any time. The only problem now with making things now is the cost of metal. It's really getting outrageous.

11. Ken McDaniel

Same here. Different verbs, different techniques; make sure to throw smoking in there as it is very different from the other two.

Price of steel? Tell me about it. My sis-in-law works for Lincoln Electric so I always get to hear about it. It's ridiculous what China has done to the market.