1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Biggest DIY project for me 90% done.

Discussion in 'DIY Lounge' started by CJ, Jun 18, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

2. Eric

Eric Active Member

Nice. Is that one a kit or your own design?

Either way, looks like the kids are going to have a fun place to play.

3. CJ

That's all my own design. I mean you see these things and its like OK, a tower, arm coming off one side for a swing, slide ladder and rock climbing wall. I can do that.

All the reasonable kits (i.e. sub $3000) are really designed to be plunked down on a flat surface. As you can see, we don't have that.

4. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member War Zone Member

Yea, but where's the speakers? :)

Pete

5. CJ

LOL, with the new grill, outdoor audio IS on my list of things to do. Just not sure how I want to implement it.

6. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Very nice!

I built one for my daughter when she was about 3. She did not start really getting into it until a year later, and now she uses it all the time!

7. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Didn't you always complain about your DIY efforts? That's really impressive. How do you design something like that? :) If I tried building something like that it would collapse in a week, I'm sure of it.

8. CJ

LOL, construction != speaker building. I'll give you a hint, every connecting board is not flush to within 1mm (nor does it need to be by any stretch). If I built speaker boxes to these tolerances though, they would look like total crap.

9. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Yeah but it still needs to be sturdy. Not my strong point :)

10. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Well done!

11. CJ

Oh yeah, I'd say the tower will support 1,000 pounds.

12. CJ

Thanks!

Its going to have a 1x4 board roof, that's the 10% that's not done.

13. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Just open the sliding door downstairs. 8)

14. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Looks great, CJ. Nice work. I like the nice strong-looking fence on the downhill side; just the thing to catch a smaller kid when a larger one tosses them off the back. :D

15. CJ

Gotta keep them from rolling into the street, I'm not paying for someone's busted grill and headlight.

16. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Looks great, CJ. Take a moment and check your homeowner's insurance before the neighbor's kids come over. :x

17. CJ

Neighbors kids are my age, not too worried :D

18. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Even more important then for you to consider Denton's point. 20-something or 30-something males, beer, BBQ and big ass swing set can all add up to DANGER WILL ROBINSON! :lol:

19. CJ

LOL, they don't live there David.

20. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

Nice work! We built a pergola on uneven ground a few years ago and it was a bitch getting it to look right. Your girls will love that.