Biggest equipment blunders

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by LarryB, Jun 4, 2007.

1. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

As with many things in life, our tastes in audio change as we learn more about the hobby. I thought it might be fun to describe what we would now consider to be our most egregious errors. I'll begin: My Thiel CS6 speakers. Though I briefly enjoyed them, they are now amongst my least favorite speakers.

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Nothing major to report yet...:)

Although the Outlaw 1050 was a disappointment overall.

3. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

I'm not here to bash these, but this was easily my biggest blunder.

[​IMG]

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Hmm, depends on how you define the term. My biggest blunder was probably paying $600 for a Sony HTiB with 2"x3" single drivers and a 6" "subwoofer". But that was my entry into this hobby, so its tough to be hard on yourself. I haven't purchased anything really expensive that turned out to be a dud, so its tough to think of anything that I would consider a blunder vs. just moving along the path of discovering my tastes etc.

5. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

CJ:

I was viewing this largely from the point of view of changing tastes.

6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Yea, that was going to be my question as well. "Biggest" as in largest amount of money spent on something you later found you didn't like, or biggest in terms of something you thought was great at the time until you heard/saw/etc. something else? I also agree with CJ that even if I ended up not liking something, it really wasn't a blunder per se, it was more like a learning experience and part of my refinement of taste.

7. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Well then everything I've owned before now was a blunder. ;) Seriously though, if that's the case I would have to say all the Paradigms I owned were a blunder. I don't think I could listen to them any more. I didn't realize constantly having a finger on the volume control was NOT actually a requirement.

8. DYohn

Ah, OK. Then I can honestly say the biggest single thing I ever did due to my taste changing was dumping my vinyl setup and over 5000 albums. I do not call this a blunder, merely a change as my taste and lifestyle has simply changed to the point where the sonic differences were just no longer important to me in the face of convenient digital access to my entire library at the push of a button. And damn it is nice not having a wall of albums taking up so much space! The only thing from my setup that I have held onto is my custom hand-made passive magnetic phono preamp put together by Rupert Neve, and only because it has emotional value and is a museum piece. :)

9. Geof

Geof New Member

Carver ZR1600
    Good for bass though :)

[​IMG]

10. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Probably the last Sony DVD player that I ever bought. I'd have to look up the model number at home. I think I paid somehwere around $400 for it. What a piece of crap. It was a shorter, smaller type of player, and you could get it in either black or silver, which at the time was unusual for Sony I think. I've switched to Denon since then and am really happy with them.

11. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

CJ:

[I don't think I could listen to them any more. I didn't realize constantly having a finger on the volume control was NOT actually a requirement.[/quote]

That's the kind of thing I had in mind, not what David described.

12. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

My father gave me an Eico (tube) amp he had built from a kit. (It put out so much heat I couldn't afford to pay the air conditioning bills!) I sold it and replaced it with a Realistic (solid state) receiver. Understand that this was during the glory days of FM radio (1971) and there was no tuner to go with the Eico. The Eico would still have value now. The Realistic receiver is at the bottom of the landfill located just off I-95 in Palm Beach county. And so it goes.

13. cjd

cjd New Member

My Twisted Pear X-BOSOZ kit. Just can't get it to operate without problems. Not necessarily huge amounts of money, but TONS of frustration and time/effort. Of course, now that I have it benched I may have an idea of what it needs to work properly. We'll see, I may try it some day as the sound was promising. But for now...

C

14. DYohn

Larry, would not something like you describe simply be part of our ongoing learning experiences? Why is that a "blunder" in your mind? I cannot think of a single thing I've ever done in my personal audio setups that I consider a blunder. Things I have decided I don't like, sure, things I spent way too much money on, sure, changes due to evolving taste or needs, sure. But nothing that was such a huge mistake that I'd call it a blunder.

Maybe it's semantics? You now, New York English VS California English? :)

15. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

The only thing I would consider a blunder would be buying something and discovering I didn't like it immediately for whatever reason. For example, buying a DLP projector was a borderline blunder for me. I knew the first day I fired it up that it was a mistake. It took a while for my brain to catch up with my gut.

16. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

David:

You are absolutely correct that it was a poor choice of terminology; as someone who prizes correct usage, I stand corrected.

A healthy view of life is that all our missteps bring us to where we are. While I don't dispute this, I nevertheless look back at some of my audio purchases and can't help but ask myself, "What the heck was I thinking?" Though a more positive viewpont is "look how far I've come."

In any event, so much for my idea for a fun thread. ;)

17. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

This group is too intellectual. ;)

18. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I've answered your question with TWO examples now. Yeesh, guess I know where I stand now. Oh, CJ's answered my question but no one else has. Guess this thread is a dud.

;)

19. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

I haven't made any yet with the two channel rig, as I had enough sense to get lots of help from you guys, but the HT I botched pretty badly. It was my first time around though, and I only had the knowledge accrued from reading the Circuit City on-line catalog and Crutchfield. I did realize that HDMI was the way to go, so everything was HDMI capable at least. Unfortunately, I also decided a digital receiver and Infinity speakers were the way to go. So after hooking up with HTT I realized the error of my ways and within six months replaced everything but the plasma, Panasonic s77 dvd player, and the rear surround in-ceiing speaker. Names like Denon, SVS, Rockets and Ascends made the HT something wonderful that I'm very happy with. Oh yeah, getting rid of those BlueJean component cables and replacing with Zu's was a tremendous step forward, but then again, I wouldn't have known that if I had the Zu's from the beginning.

I guess my blunders were more of the "growing pains"variety, being that I'm a relative noob. I'm in a good place for being two years into HT and less than a year into mid-fi.

20. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

That would be one of my blunders, also. I go stuck on an HT track for a few years and couldn't seem to get off it.

But my biggest blunder was selling my Yamaha M-2 power amp and C-2 preamp to raise money for a Yamaha RX-V415 5.1 HT receiver. :oops: