1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Bill Hunt's reaction to AICN's HD-DVD rant...

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Dennis Pagoulatos, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/soapbox/soap060107.html

Good times. :lol:

I actually agree with him- again- and I'm an HD-DVD owner (360 add-on) with a growing stack of HD-DVD titles sitting on my shelf.

I don't know if he's "on the take" or what, but his logic is, well, logical. Unless some pretty big things change, only 2 things will happen- neither format will win, or Blu will win. It seems very unlikely to me that HD-DVD will come away with anything resembling a win in this war.

I know many will disagree, but feel free, it's what makes this fun. 8)

-Dennis

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Even with low player prices, HD STILL doesn't have the support of many studios OR many decent player manufacturers...Taking a big step back and shedding the HT "gotta have it now" mentalities...many folks here and elsewhere must be seeing that HD is fighting a losing battle for the most part.

I know many proponents of HD-DVD are banging the "LOOK AT THE LOW LOW PRICES OF THE PLAYERS!!" drums, but honestly I don't think that does much to help HD-DVD's overall game. Sell it for $150...wow, yippee,...now go look at the movie shelves...where are all the movie studios...where are all the famous name brands of players??? Yup...over on Blu's side.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

This is simply not worth discussing.

- Steve

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Why's that?? Bill has a TON of valid points...sure it's nice to own the latest greatest right when it hits the streets, but sometimes the writing is slowly written on the wall...no matter how much some folks wanna shut their eyes to it.

5. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

And some folks wanna make the same points over and over and over... Ah well.

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

It's a given until the "war" is over...

7. Dennis Pagoulatos

I find it interesting that someone who I thought was very well respected within the HT community (no endorsement from me personally though), is taken to task (or ignored completely) for simply responding to something like Harry Knowles post on aintitcoolnews. It needed to be addressed by someone out there with some credibility and Bill did a pretty good job- though he did veer into frothing at the mouth Blu-Ray fanboy a few times during his response (which is unavoidable because he is one). What I can't really take him to task for are the undeniable realities that he uses to make his case.

It also amazes me that in the "old days" when both formats were being talked about- Blu-Ray was the one that most people online seemed to back because of the larger capacity, but since then it seems that Sony has completely fallen out of favor with much of the online community (rootkit debacle, etc. probably cemented it).

-Dennis

8. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

It all comes down to whether you believe consumers will blindly follow the studios, or whether you believe the studios will follow the consumer dollar.

9. Dennis Pagoulatos

That is a valid point...

-Dennis

10. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Actually Bill has taken a pro BD stance since way before it was even remotely possible to know what was going to do what (i.e. before BD was released or perhaps before HD-DVD was even released). No idea where he gets his opinions but they're based on a decision he made a long time ago and he hasn't wavered. There were a lot of discussions about this on HTT and AVS. I certainly won't say he's on the take, but he made up his mind a LONG time ago and is just recycling commentary.

11. Eric

Eric Active Member

That may be true, but I felt his take on the whole debate was MUCH more balanced than Harry's over at AICN. Harry came off like an uneducated schill for HD-DVD. It probably hurts Harry more that he wasn't actually debating the merits of BD vs. HDDVD, because if you look at his comments from that perspective he sounds loony. If you look at his comments just from the point of view that he bought a new toy and he's excited about it, it's not so bad. Still, he did actually make one anecdotal comparison, which opened him up to the discussion.

12. CJ

Yeah, I wasn't commenting on the AICN aspect at all. That was a cluster fuck of misinformation and misunderstanding. But that's aside from the Bill Hunt issue. Maybe we should just agree that they're both shills.

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Amen.

14. CJ

Yep, the smart thing to do is buy both and then get in the other sub-forum and discuss the damn MOVIES!

15. Eric

Eric Active Member

Fair enough. I think they're both shills. :)

16. Eric

Eric Active Member

Well, I've got the PS3....maybe when I get in to my new place I'll pick up one of the Toshibas. What format war?

17. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Well I finally got the chance to sit down and read what Harry and Bill wrote and ....

Bill pretty much stated what I have felt for a long time now. I don't have any great love of Sony, or Toshiba or MS or any of the companies. In fact I bought an Xbox and later an Xbox 360 in spite of some Issues I have with MS but I wasn't going to let those issues get in the way. I won't let my issues with Sony get in the way and I am very likely to soon own a Blu-Ray player of some sort.

Now I was starting to waver because of the low cost and was going to get an HD-DVD unit, in fact I was damn near buying one until I finished reading Bill Hunts little rant there.

It wasn't any thing he said in particular that he said, he just kind of reminded me of all the reason I thought Blu-Ray would win the format war in the first place. I mean I am no zealot for Blu or HD but when processing information I just kind of came to the conclusion that Blu-Ray would end up winning the format war not because I was rooting for them or against HD-DVD it was just pretty apparent to me that it was just a matter of time.

I will be honest, in that I did not expect HD-DVD to put up the great fight it has, but much of HD-DVD's great fight was really because Blu-Ray ran into certain delays and pushed ahead through a bumpy start. Things are starting to smooth out and their muscle is beginning to show.

Yes I think I will be buying Blu really soon, and the low prices might put an HD-DVD machine in my rack as well, but I will be doing so fully expecting Blu to win which means when I buy HD Media I am more likely to but for the format I think will win which again means blu, unless there is a substantial price or content difference.

Max

18. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Again, it all comes down to who you think will determine the format war. The consumers or the studios.

Toshiba has reported a 10-fold increase in standalone sales since the price reduction. Remember that Blu-Ray had only a slight software sales lead to date, despite the current situation with more CE and studio support. If HD DVD continues to sell through to the consumer, there will be shifts in allegiances.

Just put your money where your heart lies.... with the studios or the consumer.

19. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Michael, You keep going to this stance and I just don't get it. Do you really believe that HD-DVD is that in love with you? Both sides are companies looking to get our money and that's it. There is no chivalry in their actions.

20. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Michael:

Could you please clarify this, as I don't understand what you're getting at.

Thanks.

Larry