1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Birth of a home.....

Discussion in 'Picture Show' started by Eric, May 14, 2007.

1. Eric

Eric Active Member

Well, at least for the time being, it's not going to have a dedicated theater. I am tracking the construction of my new home in my first ever blog.

Threw it together in about 5 minutes using iWeb on my mac. Definitely need to learn more about the software so I can get it to do what I want, but it's a start.

Here it is.

2. Eric

Eric Active Member

Well, at least for the time being, it's not going to have a dedicated theater. I am tracking the construction of my new home in my first ever blog.

Threw it together in about 5 minutes using iWeb on my mac. Definitely need to learn more about the software so I can get it to do what I want, but it's a start.

Here it is.

3. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus New Member

eric if its not too late, run by home depot and get some pipe insulation (the split tube foam stuff) and insulate every hot water line now. i wish i had done it aobut the time i took that same picture of my house. they dont just automatically do it, and i will keep the water form going insta cold between shower and shave.

also, start planning low voltage wire runs now (TV, network, whole house audio... etc...) its way easier to pull wire during framing, than to decide to add it later.

4. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus New Member

eric if its not too late, run by home depot and get some pipe insulation (the split tube foam stuff) and insulate every hot water line now. i wish i had done it aobut the time i took that same picture of my house. they dont just automatically do it, and i will keep the water form going insta cold between shower and shave.

also, start planning low voltage wire runs now (TV, network, whole house audio... etc...) its way easier to pull wire during framing, than to decide to add it later.

5. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

You guys actually worry about cold in Florida? ;)

6. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

ditto? :shock:

7. Eric

Eric Active Member

That's really not a bad idea. At the rate they're going, I doubt they'll be pouring any concrete today. I'll run by after work today. And for you non-floridians, cold is a relative term. It may not be cold, but it certainly drops away from hot in a hurry.

As for the low voltage....no real plans for whole house audio. The surround in my living room/great room is being run by the builder (I'll probably end up using their lines to pull some "real" speaker wire through). Cable/phone is also being pulled by the builder. No plans for Cat5 at this time, I've been a wi-fi guy for a while now. I am going to sneak in to pull the speaker wire for my back porch as soon as I get a chance though. I'm formulating plans for a future dedicated HT, but it's a way down the road and will require knocking out one of the walls. Nuthin' like demolishing a brand new house. :twisted:

I may think about some low voltage runs anyway, if only for resale.

8. Eric

Eric Active Member

Weigh in here guys. Down the road, when I start looking at a dedicated HT, here's the two options I'm looking at.

I'm already having the builder leave out the columns between the living room and dining room. The plan was to get a small (8') pool table in there at some point. I could change that plan and use that space as a semi-dedicated HT...close off all the light sources and set up a FP screen at the front of the living room. Might be kind of weird to walk in to a house and immediately see some tiered seating and the like.

The other option is to eventually knock down the wall between the Activity Room and Bedroom 3. Turn that space in to a dedicated HT.

The joy of being a bachelor is I can do these types of things. Either way I go, I'd probably return the home to the as-built condition when I decide to move out.

[​IMG]

9. Shane

Shane Active Member

Ken,
    When I went to Disneyworld last, the highs were in the low 40's while the low's were below freezing. That's not super cold to say a Canadian but it's cold nonetheless.

10. Paul_C

Paul_C New Member

I can't speak for every Canuck but 40 is cold even by our standard. :lol:

I just got back from the "House of the Mouse" in Orlando and it was hovering in the high 50's at night and that was cold for watching fireworks without a light jacket.

Cheers,

Paul.

11. Chris White

Chris White New Member

I think I'd combine the activity room and bedroom 3. Having handy access to both a bathroom and a closet would be nice.

12. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus New Member

hard wired cat5e is still faster and more reliable than most any wi-fi isnt it? as for whole house audio, it took me neearly 3 years before i used um, but im glad i pulled wire for it form when things were framed. few hundred bucks of wire and a weekends work now, way less headaches later.

i removed and replaced all the crap coax and phone the builder pulled for some better stuff too, also glad i did.

13. Eric

Eric Active Member

Well, I missed my chance to insulate the hot water lines. With the vapor barrier down I'm kind of separated from the lines. Didn't want to go pulling it up or cutting it.

You've got me thinking now about the whole house audio. Maybe it'd be worth a weekend's work (assuming a weekend happens to fall in to place just prior to the dry wallers coming in). Probably wouldn't hurt to buy a bunch of the cable bundles that come with two RG-6 and 2 CAT5 cables. At the very least take a page from Rich's book and replace the crap wires that the builder will use. Maybe even home run them somewhere to get set up for structured wiring.

14. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus New Member

now your talkin.

even if you dont need it today, its there and way easier than trying to do it later.

15. TimB

TimB New Member

Eric,
    I second Rich's motion to run at least cat5 all over. I was where you are at about a year ago, and I put at least 2 drops in every room. I elected to go with separate coax and cat5e though. Combination of wanting to run quadshield, and the ease of pulling.

Two hints:

1. label your wires indelibly by room not just a number, or don't lose your master location index cheat sheet :oops:

2. don't leave your cordless drill, new spare battery, and new drill bits unattended - even for 10 minutes :x

16. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus New Member

i didnt lable mine at all, but have to spend some time with a tone and probe to sort things out as i have a need for the wires. you can even find um behind drywall this way provided you have acess to one ond of the wire.

i ran seperate pieces, 2x cat 5, 2X quad shield rg6. considered the all in one stuff, but it costs way more and is less flexible on how you run things.

(get wire in spool boxes and pull all four wires at the same time, same affect as pulling the all in one wire.)

17. Eric

Eric Active Member

Yeah, the bundled stuff can get pricey. I occasionally see decent deals on ebay. You've pretty much convinced me, if only because I really want structured wiring. I HATE the mess of wires terminating wherever the builders see fit. It's a nightmare.

As for whole house audio, I guess it may be time to give Buzz Goddard a, umm, buzz...

18. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

My bro-in-law has a whole house system that runs on Cat 5, speaker wires and all. Is pretty damn cool. You can control the source from any room in the house. I believe he's running 6 zones.

19. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus New Member

i pulled a length of cat 5 along side all my whole house audio runs. im not using it now, but its there if i go with one of those new fangled systems that are available now.

voice, data, cable and alarm were routed to here: (whole house audio, and CCTV went somewhere else.)

[​IMG]

20. Eric

Eric Active Member

Did you work with your builder much? Because I'd really like to go with structured wiring, but I don't know how far I could push the envelope before they started to get upset. It'll be a stretch re-running their voice and cable, but to re-route the alarm may push them over the edge.