Bivalve Rejuvinator

Discussion in 'DIY Lounge' started by Mike B, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

My latest invention! Saw one of these a long time ago at a grocery store and liked what it did to keep the clams fresh.

I love clams and oysters and have them often. The quality is hit and miss. They dry out during storage and shipping and that's never a good thing. Their natural environment is immersed in sea water and their shells are full of water at all times. That all changes when they are harvested.

Found my old Igloo cooler in the garage and went to work. A rule 12 volt submersible bilge pump, some PVC and fittings and a plastic cutting board.

29141457062_41467d288e_o.jpg

They need oxygen and they need salt water w/o chlorine or chloramines (tap water) so I used purified water and sea salt to make the water. And I tested it yesterday, made the sea water and gave them about 3 hours of "rain" before removing to fridge;

29215672286_a4894e605d_o.jpg

Grilling oysters and they were the best I've ever done. As they warmed on the grill and the shells started to open, water came out and the oysters looked plump and fresh, I removed the top shell, hit 'em with garlic butter and tabasco and waited until they just started to bubble. Wonderful - :)

2. Mike B

Those oysters were so good I got 6 more for appetizers tonight!

29174938491_5c15c17e52_o.jpg

Now being "rejuvenated" - :)

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I love your spirit, man.

4. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Completely agree. I said it once before on Mike's Deck Mister thread... MikeB TV... I'd watch.

5. murrayb

murrayb Active Member War Zone Member

Our very own McMikey, err, McGuiver. Cool little set-up, Mike.

6. Mike B

Thanks guys! Especially coming from you CJ with your well known love of seafood - :)

Last nights 3 big oysters on the barbee;

29166928102_8fdbf82689_o.jpg

Excellent! Today I bought some clams and hopefully after some "rain" they will "shine"

28654076183_507a4ba5ae_o.jpg

In a half hour we'll be going to Kelly's and I'll have those clams and some cocktail sauce and a shuck knife as well as a jug of martinis. Didn't get into them yesterday, but I opened one today just to "make sure" and it rocked! Nice and fresh tasting with lots of water.

I can't tell you how well this thing came out. I spend a lotta dough shipping these things in from the internet and even the good places will have some that are not good. Too dry, lost it's liquid and into the trash can. A few hours in the "rain" should fix them up nicely - :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2016
  7. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

I missed this one. The other stuff you built has been great, but this is OUTSTANDING!!! I'd say it's your second place creation, of course behind the Dr. Tesla gizmo. Did you drill the holes in the PVC? Looks like a lot of holes, but the result is genius. I'm an oyster fan, clams not so much. We ate in a Greek style fish place nearby last week that you'd love, and I started out with half a dozen blue points. Yum.

8. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Where are you getting the salt water solution?

9. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

he is home brewing with Purified Water & Sea Salt

10. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

DOH! thanks

11. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Mike, since you're such an oyster fan, check out Mark Kurlansky's The Big Oyster: History on the Half Shell. It's a good read about the influence oysters had on New York City. Before we started throwing shit into NY Harbor, and ships started running on fuel, the harbor was a huge oyster breeding ground. Our favorite bivalves went from the food of the common folks to a luxury.

12. Mike B

Hey John, I did drill the holes in the PVC after I glued it up. Used my trusty Dremel with the small collet and a 3/32" bit. The T opposite the pump with the plug is a clean out and I can put a garden hose in there to back flush (clean) the assembly after each use.

Oysters I've been getting from Catalina, close (San Diego), farmed and very good. Even here, some are a little "dried out" though and all will benefit from some "rain"

13. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

wow is that cool. Come to CT. Fall is oyster festival season. The Milford festival had oysters from nine northeastern states and the Norwalk festival will have 10+ states. We have about 18 varieties in the area. Blue Points are probably the most sought after but many are named for the little bays they are found in. The site below will ship anywhere.

https://www.oysterater.com/region/long-island-sound/

14. Mike B

Labor Day special at the groster, whole bags (2 dozen) of grillin' oysters $12! Guess what we're eating a lot of soon - :)

15. Carl V

good for you.

Mike you need to take a road trip (imho) head on down to Monterrey...pismo...
    stretch out those Motor cycle legs so to speak...breath the ocean air... drink in the
    seasinde horizon...and sample FRESH seafood.

16. Mike B

Was down to Monterrey with Kelly in April, was excellent as usual. Yeah, the oysters were really good - :)

17. Carl V

glad to hear it

how about Half Moon Bay
    or up north around Stinson Beach
    and Bolinas Bay. Such lovely country.
    You are so lucky to live within two hours of some incredible
    sight and sounds.

regardless, enjoy yourself

18. GHilinski

GHilinski Active Member War Zone Member

As a New Englander, we are always filled with fun and stupid wives tales but I think this one is true. Letting shellfish rest in cold icy water before shucking relaxes the muscles and makes them less tense and chewy. My friend Scott who is a wise old sage swears by it. Easier to open too.

19. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

wicked cool thing. I have never had a cooked oyster, but I think I should.

20. Mike B

I think they call those big ones "grilling oysters" for 2 reasons;

They are hard to open raw as the hinge is big and tough and they are a little large to be chewing up raw.

But pretty easy to deal with on the grill. The heat causes the muscle to relax and you can open with gloves and cut the muscle and remove the top shell and then hit it with whatever sauce/spice you want and then just wait for the "bubble" to start and they are done. The longer you cook the tougher they get so you have to pay attention. Then you can even cut them in half on the shell and munch. We plan to just stand out there and cook and shuck and sauce and munch right as they come off with beers or wine or cocktails. Fresh oysters hot off the grill!

And here they are, tonight's supper, 23 oysters getting the "rain", yes there were 2 dozen in the bag, but one was open and all dried out and now sleeps with the garbage.

29359321416_2f99057bda_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2016