1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Blockbuster: Going BR only in stores

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Shane, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

http://www.elpasotimes.com/entertainment/ci_6164939
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_513097.html

They will continue to rent HD DVD's online. We'll see what the impact of this is.

One of our local stores here has both(for now). There's a thread on AVS(and it's not updated) which shows which stores carry them. The online website says quite a few stores in my area has them but they are clearly wrong.

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I've seen both here on the southside of town BB's..

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this could/will add another nail into the HD-DVD coffin if they keep getting ignored by major retailers, Blockbuster, and major studios....

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I think it will have SOME impact because its another place that BD will be where HD-DVD is conspicuously absent. How big of an impact, I don't know and it won't be immediate, it will be like I said, just making the general public are of this format but not the other.

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Thing is the stores are SO darn small to begin with I don't see how they can even offer any real selection for Blu (or any new format)...

5. CJ

There is PLENTY of room in my store. Usually I see them turning some of the old releases front facing (instead of spine facing) to use up shelf space. I always wonder if you live in some kind of alternative universe where everything is different from everyone else on the forum.

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Feel free to come by and look over our local BB.....they can barely squeeze in SD DVD what with all the goofy video games, "new" DVD's and games for sale racks, candy racks, and magazine racks etc etc....no way they could offer a very large selection in the BB's I live around...so what universe do you live in??

7. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I guess that makes it much easier to not switch to Blockbuster online!

8. Alfer

Alfer New Member

If you're a real movie buff..BB Online and Netflix are about THE only way to go...

Me I pretty much go to Hollywood Video...much larger store, easier return time (5 days for everything), $1 credit if new movie returned in one day, new release is free if none are in stock, much bigger store overall...I'll hit BB on ocassion if there's something we really want in a pinch.

9. Shane

Shane Active Member

Alfer must live in nevernever land because they 101st and Memorial store where I found them had tons of room to expand. I wouldn't consider their selection large but it's quite adequate and more than they had for the laserdiscs when they carried them.

I guess we'll see what Netflix does. Could the rental companies settle this war for us? Who knows but it's getting interesting.

10. Chris White

Chris White New Member

This statement seems a bit strong to me. If we were talking about Wal-Mart, then I would agree.

11. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Yup 101st and Memorial is not very big at all..very cramped feeling and shelf space is pretty darn tight especially if ya try to have a bunch of double dipped titles jammed in there...I can see Hollywood Video doing it, their store is much larger and has much more room to play around with.

Now if BB would quit trying to sell tie in toys and "new videos" etc, they could fit a few more isles of stuff..but as it is, it's pretty small/cramped..

12. Shane

Shane Active Member

Re read your post and mine. It's quite obvious you didn't read it. I said the store has tons of room to expand....

Or are you just confirming that you live in neverneverland? ;)

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Opps...expansion is key..but I doubt they will do much...they seemed resigned to the fact that toys/candy/games/new for sale movies are worthy of lots of floor space.

14. Shane

Shane Active Member

That's why they are expanding?? ;)

15. Shane

Shane Active Member

Here is some interesting math on the impact of this deal:

16. CJ

No shock there. At nearly $1B Netflix is a PHENOMENAL success they are still David vs. Goliath. Not to mention that as much as Blockbuster is supposed to be next to Wal-Mart on the evil empire list (for passing moral judgment on films to carry or not) their online rental model is as good or better than Netflix (definitely better for me).

17. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Seems pretty good from my end, it's just another step in the whole mess. Despite the success of online rentals I still see a LOT of people going to stores to rent movies.

Walmart going single format would be a BIG blow and not just a step. ;)

18. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

The local BB in my 'hood has twice as much shelf space for BluRay as HD DVD. This is saddening but not entirely surprising...

19. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Like I said a year ago when this whole thing started, just like most of the other so-called format wars, the winner is usually determined not by technology and not by price, but by software availability. (I am not trying to say that anyone has "won" anything, just restating my opinion that content is king.)

20. Shane

Shane Active Member

David,
    I agree but HD DVD fans would say that strong hardware sales from the HD DVD camp will convince the BR only studios to start releasing on HD DVD.

Given how often those studios(Disney, Fox, Lionsgate) have continued to claim they are BR only, HD DVD fan still believe they will follow the money.

We shall see. At this point I think it's wishful thinking.