Blockbuster Total Access Online vs Netflix

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Shane, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

I currently pay $15.99 a month for Netflix's 2 at a time unlimited plan. So far I have no complaints but the competition(Blockbuster) is tempting. There are times like now where I'd like to go rent a film but I'm waiting on the mail. I'm not one to follow "Why fix what's not broke?" but this is tempting.

My biggest fear in changing is Netflix tends to have a better selection of hard to find titles especially foreign films. How does Blockbuster work for you on that end?

I know they carry HD and BR discs so I'm covered there.

Here's the best comparison I can make:

Netflix:
    $15.99 a month 2 at a time unlimited
    HD and BR included
    no shipping
    Great selection of hard to find titles.
    NO COMPLAINTS

Blockbuster Total Access
    $17.99 a month 3 at a time
    HD and BR included
    No shipping
    Free local dropoff and pickup of new films(though selection remains questionable).
    1 free rental in store a month coupon
    1 free game rental a month
    Questionable service(Have had issues with BB in the past).

Am I missing something? Any personal thoughts on switching(if you have)?

I also see that a few stores locally have HD and BR titles. I don't trust BB online so I plan to visit those stores. If I can return and rent HD and BR titles locally then I think this is a slam dunk.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I switched, haven't had any issues, don't get throttled (I had to go to a 5 at a time plan on netflix so I was paying $36 or $49 to avoid getting throttled). I liked it so much I am trying to register for their affiliate program for the site here. So if you want to try switching you might wait until I get a banner up. Also, Netflix keeps your queue in case you change your mind but print it out before you cancel because you don't have access to your queue after you cancel.

3. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

How is Blockbuster with HD DVD?

Lots of title availability?

4. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Not having access to Netflix any more I can' tell you. Blockbuster, like Netflix lets you sort by "collections" two of which are all BD titles and all HD-DVD titles. If someone wants to check netflix, I'll check BB and we can report total number of titles on each format for each provider.

5. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Blu-Ray 254 Movies
    HD-DVD 223 Movies

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

7. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

CJ:

I didn't realize you were no longer using Netflix. I suppose that once I joined, you didn't want to be associated with them any longer. ;)

8. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

What does this mean CJ?

9. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

LOL, no, got tired of getting throttled and found a better deal irrespective of that particular issue.

10. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

You can google it and find tons of stories but essentially Netflix makes the most money off of the people who pay for their service and then don't use it. They make the least money (and could in fact LOSE money) off of people who use it the most. Now they're paying bulk postage rates but just for the sake of argument lets say it costs them $0.41 to mail a DVD out and $0.41 when you send it back. That's $0.82 per DVD. If you pay $17 a month and you watch more than 20 movies in a month they LOSE money on your account just in postage and there is overhead and processing involved too. So what they do is sit on your DVDs. When they come in, they don't send your next one out the same day, they send it out the next day or even the day after, simply to slow you down. This is referred to as throttling. Its like a car throttle, not like chocking you (though they may want to). They're throttling you back, slowing you down.

11. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Got it...thanks for the explanation...

12. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Shane,

I've been with BB on-line for about three years now. I haven't had one service issue. I get my movies promptly, and have only received one that was scratched/cracked so it couldn't be played. They have an excellent selection of BluRay/HD-DVD. The only area that they may lack a little on versus Netflix is the more obscure foreign and indy stuff, and occasionaly a movie that doesn't meet BB's moral policy won't show up (Shortbus for example will not be found).

The ability to exchange in store and the free game rental each month makes it an easy choice for me.

13. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

The free game rental definitely has my interest piqued.

14. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Yeah, the game rental was the thing that made me switch from Netflix several years ago. At that time it was the only perk that BB had over Netflix....and it was 2 game rentals not one, so it basically paid for my monthly fee right there. Lucky me they actually grandfathered me so I still get them both instead of just one!

Also, keep in mind when you rent a game you get to keep it for 12 days before you have to return it. That's a decent length of time. (Technically you could keep it for another 30 days after that if you don't mind having your CC charged and then refunded minus the $1.25 restocking fee)

15. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Shane, I use BB and have been satisfied. I'm a very heavy user so they throttle me a little, but not too bad. I can usually get as many movies in a month as I watch, so it doesn't bother me when they occasionally take an extra day or two. I actually chose BB because of the free in-store rental coupons, however I've never actually used one. The on-line availability is always better than in-store availability.

16. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

We got throttled by Netflix so we jumped. We couldn't be happier. We make the most money off the unlimited in-store swaps. Bring in a movie to the store and get a free rental. We use that to cover our whims and kid movies. Plus if they send me a movie that's too deep on the cue, we just take it to the store and swap it for something newer. No complaints.

17. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

QFT! Absolutely, being able to take in your on-line movie (even if you haven't watched it yet) and swapping it for something you want to see 'right now' is very cool.

I've had Walk The Line sent to me three times, and each time I just wasn't in the mood to watch it so I exchanged it for something else. lol

18. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

A bit off topic, but you're missing a great film.

Back to the regularly schedules madness... :)

19. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Oh, I know! I'll definitely watch it...maybe the fourth time will be the charm. :)

20. Shane

Shane Active Member

I found a local store that carries HD and BR in stock. I'll likely make the switch here soon.

Keep the comments flowing.