1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

"Bong Hits 4 J*sus" case: the dissenting opinion

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Denton, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I've been following this but didn't post it because I thought it might get too political. Its a sad day.

3. brianca

brianca New Member

I followed it some, but I think I was confused on some of the facts. I'd be completely against the ruling if it was not a school function and ok with it if it was. I always thought it was not a school function, so I expected the kid to win.

4. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Ann excellent dissenting opinion, IMO.

5. CJ

I'm not OK with it either way, but this is why I didn't post it. I'd be OK with kids wearing anti-war armbands to school like the did during Vietnam too. The problem is that the courts didn't say it was illegal for him to exercise this free speech, just that the school could punish him for it. Which they did. I disagree with that but hey...

6. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Why? I agree completely with the majority opinion. Justice Steven's interpretation of the banner's message is at odds with almost everyone else.

But the point is that advocating drug use is an exception. Even Justice Stevens recognizes this, he just doesn't believe the message in fact advocated drug use.

7. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

To amplify what Chris said, the dissenting opinion was based (in part) on the Justices' position that the message on the banner (1) was more along the lines of "silly" than actually advocating drug use, and (2) would not actually induce those reading it to use drugs.

Larry

8. CJ

I guess I would say that I agree with this statement from the dissenting opinion and leave it at that...

9. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

That is precisely what I was attempting to summarize.

10. brianca

brianca New Member

This is a great point to make in this case. I'd be Ok with it too, but that doesn't make it illegal for the school to ban it. One of my favorite quotes from Justice Scalia was, "I don't agree with all my decisions."

You decide what the law allows, not what you deem acceptable. The courts have rules consistently that kids in school have reduced rights with regard to free speech and that the school has fairly broad control over how students behave.

Deciding if what the principle did was right is very different from deciding if he was within his rights to do it.

11. cjd

cjd New Member

What bothers me most is (as far as I can tell) this was not hit for the *religion* side of things. If that sign was pushing drugs, it was pushing Jesus...

C

12. CJ

Are you seeking second opinions ;) ;)

13. brianca

brianca New Member

as far as I can tell it's still not illegal to worship jesus. ;)

14. John Beavers

John Beavers Active Member War Zone Member

Yeah, but I know the Pope would take a dim view of someone introducing the son of god to dope :twisted: :lol:

15. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

A popular joke in the '60s was that Jesus was a hippy - - he had long hair, a beard, and wore sandals. ;)

16. CJ

Yes, but while I'm not a biblical expert, I do remember Jesus trying to prevent people from getting stoned.

Though I'm guessing he didn't bathe frequently which probably goes along with the hippie status. If only we could determine if he ate granola. Then we could KNOW...

17. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Crap. I had to read it 3 times to get that stoned joke. Duh. I'm ready for the weekend.

18. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Double crap. I had to read Saurav's post to get that stoned joke. :oops:

19. cjd

cjd New Member

should be. :twisted:

But is not religion a "restricted" topic at schools?

20. brianca

brianca New Member

Not in student speech. Only in school administration speech in certain cases.