1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Breach

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by George Bellefontaine, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Breach stars Chris Cooper as real life FBI agent Robert Hanssen, who for nearly 25 years leaked secrets to the Russians in exchange for money and diamonds. The bureau suspects Hanssen and enlists the aid of Eric O'Neill ( played by Ryan Phillippe) a computer smart surveillance expert, looking to become a full agent. O'Neill is appointed as Hanssen's personal assistant after he ( Hanssen ) is demoted to a mundane desk job, and thus begins a tense covert operation to bring down the mole.

This is not a high octane bang bang spy thriller. In fact, you sub will get very little work here. And it is slow moving at times, but I found myself being drawn in to the point where I was holding onto the arms of my chair. This is no doubt due to the superb performance by Chris Cooper and a subtle one by Phillippe. Breach is really a character study of two men, one good and one bad, and though it is a true story I was familiar with and knew the ending, I couldn't help but be totally immersed in the story, right up to the conclusion. And I should also mention Laura Linney, who plays Phillippe's contact and superior. Her part is small but as real as life.

If you like character driven films, you will definitely like this, and IMHO, Cooper's performance is the stuff Oscars are made of.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Just added it to my queue. In HD-DVD no less.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

I agree with you George. Breach was one of the few 2007 films I've seen theatrically. A good movie made even better by the outstanding performance of Chris Cooper. In one respect, I was reminded a bit of Silence of the Lambs in that you had two FBI trainees going up against two brilliant bad guys.

4. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I must assume Mike and his wife were the other couple in the theater when we saw "Breach". This film features some fine acting. Combine that with a sobering plot based on history and I was enthralled. Not recommended for the Silver Surfer crowd or those judging films on gross receipts. :wink:

5. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

I'll just add my voice to the chorus: good movie, well worth acquiring on HD-DVD.

6. John Kotches

John Kotches New Member

Good and box office receipts are orthogonal. They aren't always inversely related; but they often are :)

I've been wanting to see this one, guess I'll have to break down and order it since I really enjoy Chris Cooper's and Laura Linney's work!

Best,

7. Jeff

Jeff New Member

I've been wanting to see this movie. One of my teachers for my master program (computer forensics) was one of the lead agents involved with cracking Hanssen's computer. Interesting and fascinating story.

Jeff

8. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

This is one of the best movies I have seen in years.

- Steve

9. mikesd

mikesd New Member

Watched it last night, a big thumbs up :D

10. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

A very good film indeed. Watched it on HD and was left unimpressed. If you are looking for something special, there is really nothing here to see. I did not see this in the theater, but I would bet it was done in subdued tones and the disc does show this well. It just will not be a show off disc.

Never the less, it is a great film and should be seen by all, no matter the format.

11. The standard dvd transfer was really nothing special either. But the story and the acting make up for it. I do believe it was filmed a certian way to capture the mood of the story.

12. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

This is an excellent film, right up to the final scene. I am sorry, the last scene was so completely improbable and felt like a typical Hollywood tack-on ending probably because some test audience felt the story needed more closure. Yuck. It ruined the whole thing for me. If the final scene had not been there, I'd give this fantastic character study thriller a good 4 out of 5 stars. With the last 30 seconds, only 3 stars.

13. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Another thumbs up.

14. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom New Member

I hope this is better than The Good Shepard which was a dud IMO. Like watching paint dry.

15. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Just finished watching this and really liked it. I didn't think the final scene ruined it. Now I've got The Good Shepherd next in line so I'm little bummed about Andrew's comment... Hope I like it better than he did.

16. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

We watched Good Shepherd last night. It was slower than I thought it would be... for some reason I expected something like Shooter :) I enjoyed the movie, though it was pretty cynical and depressing. I'll put Breach on my queue, I was reading this thread and thinking that this sounded similar to Good Shepherd.

My wife made a comment that really made me laugh - "Alec Baldwin's become a much better actor since he lost his looks" :) :) :)

And I didn't recognize de Niro until the 2nd time he appeared. He directed it too, which was interesting, I didn't know that until the end credits.

17. John Kotches

John Kotches New Member

I finally got around to watching this film. Great movie; and a question...

Is Chris Cooper the best actor around at this time? Damn he's at the top of his game in this one.

Cheers,

18. In my opinion, I'd say yes. I've always liked his work.

19. Shane

Shane Active Member

I saw this tonight. I expected more of the how they caught him and what he did etc etc but in the end it was a character study. My unfounded expectations are what made me feel dissapointed.

From a straight character study I enjoyed most of it until the ending which David pointed out felt tacked on.

As much as I am a spy intrigue type of guy, I don't know that I will see this again.

Acting was superb including Chris Cooper who never fails to impress. I was also very surprised at how good Ryan Phillipe was.

A solid 7 out of 10.

20. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Finally watched this tonight...really enjoyable...Cooper really was 'creepy' in this film, well done. Phillippe...was enjoyable...for a 'true' story it was not over sensationalized.

7/10