Bridge to Terabithia woth a blind buy?

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by chad, Jun 11, 2007.

1. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

We have both been wanting to see this but is it any good?

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I have it in my rental queue. With per month pricing on rentals instead of per disc, it makes just as much sense to rent it and then buy it if you REALLY like it.

3. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

I would say yes, the wife would say no. It's an excellent, but it's a very adult kid's film. Don't expect Chronicles of Narnia as the FX are few and far between. This one is much more kid's drama than anything else. Still, excellent film but, just might not be what you expect.

4. chad

So its no Pans Labyrinth? I think that is what we were hoping for.

5. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

For Pans Labyrinth Deux, I would recommend The Last Mimsy whenever that comes out on DVD. Not really quite on the same level (though that's not any indictment considering how good Pan's is) but along the same lines IMO.

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

I might get it on BR. It looks quite interesting.

7. chad

Cool, thank you both. It will be hard to top P.L but she is a fantasy fan and I am starting to get interested in it on some levels as well. I probably would of seen P.L before but not Bridge or Last Mimsy.

She is still pissed that P.L was in Spanish with no English Dub. I think I read almost half of the movie to her just to avoid rewinding etc. I have seen enough "non english" movies that it does not bother me in the least and I don't feel that i'm missing anything.

8. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

No, not even close. It started some frank discussions of life and death with my 6 year old, but if you're hoping for a wild Narnia-like fantasy adventure, it's not.

This movie did score 85% on Rotten Tomatoes, an excellent score. It is an excellent movie, but it's not about the effects.

9. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Looks like a fun movie for maybe the tween crowd for sure.

10. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

I saw it in the theater months back and liked it quite a bit. touchingly affecting.

And as Ken said, the previews, which made you think of a "narnia 2" effects-fest, are quite misleading. The sfx are subdued and not a major part of the movie, which is about imagination and loss. One of the better films of the past 9 months.

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

Current reviews are saying it's a hidden gem of a film. I plan to buy it on Blu Ray.

I couldn't recommend a purchase on SD. I just don't see the point in buying them anymore.

12. chad

Shane, I don't do much SD buying anymore. I did buy P.L and a few others since I got my HD player but don't plan to buy THAT many more. I am working towards a blu player now, but, that may be a few more months..

13. Shane

Shane Active Member

Rent and hold out :) No sense double dipping.

14. chad

She went ahead and picked it up today, she was out getting my late fathers day gift... I got Flags of our Fathers on HD.

We watched B.t.T tonight and while it was cute it was nothing remarkable. After the movie played for a bit I remembered watching the made for tv movie when I was younger but not much about it.

I thought the image was acutally pretty good for a SD release. I thought the sound was great as well.

I reccomend it as a family night movie but not much else.

15. Shane

Shane Active Member

I disagree. I think it quite deserves it's 85% RT rating because it was WELL DONE. No Cheese at all.

Adults like Larry and David will enjoy this.

Ken is right, the frank discussions about religion,life/death are pretty startling for a young kid. For an adult it's a charming movie that is well done.

I give it an 8 out of 10.

The BR audio and video is amazing.

Video is 5/5
    Audio is 5/5 24 bit PCM on the BR disc.

16. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

This will probably be my first BD movie. I had the SD coming already and it go shipped before I could swap it out.

17. hgroff

hgroff New Member

Watched this last night, wow not at all what I expected. total tear jerker!!!! Dont get me wrong loved the movie, just a little surprising. Little kids will not understand this one, but would probably work for older kids and young adults.

18. chad

We rewatched this tonight ( She wanted the kids to watch it) and I enjoyed it more this time around. Maybe just the mood I was in the other night, who knows.

19. Shane

Shane Active Member

Sometimes that is the case. Fight Club was like that for me.

20. chad

Funny side note about Fight Club. I am a huge fan of the Food Network show Good Eats. The othernight he was making something that used to be made with Lye. He said something to the effect of " If you have seen Fight Club you know that lye is an important ingredient in soap, DOH I just broke the first rule"

He makes a lot of movie refrences though.