1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

BSOD Strikes!

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Dan Driscoll, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Just started in the last 48 hours, the specific error message is "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT".

I pulled and reseated all of my DIMMs and the connections to my drives and MB, still getting this random failure. It happened again just a few minutes ago when I first started typing this.

2. Dan Driscoll

Maybe just coincidence, but shortly before the problem started I uninstalled Norton 360 and installed Avast AV Free. After the first few BSOD's I uninstalled Avast and right now am just running Defender and Malwarebytes. I've had the full paid version of Malwarebytes installed for a couple of years and never had an issue.

3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Active Member

My experience with Norton--admittedly from more than a decade ago--was that it does not uninstall correctly or completely, and that you needed a clean up tool (oddly, published by Symantec) to actually get rid of it.

4. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

You may need to unhide all folders in Windows get to the AppData folder delete the Norton folders under roaming, local and local low. Then run CCleaner and/or Glary Utilities to clean out the registry too. By the way, malwarebytes don't uninstall cleanly either its highly persistent and hides itself in many places. It was bear to get rid it off completely. After doing what said above I had to get to the Safemode on startup and delete one last folder.

5. Dan Driscoll

I ran the Norton removal, but am still having the same problems. It might be getting worse, the PC seems slow and sluggish now.

6. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Maybe try a rollback?

7. Dan Driscoll

I opened the case and re-seated everything again and then ran a disk check. No BSOD events in the past couple of days, so unless I just cursed myself, the problem seems to have been resolved.

8. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

All that moving might have jarred the parts lose. Did you blow off the dust? The CA and FL dust may not be compatible! ;)

9. Dan Driscoll

Yeah, I used a can of air, both times.