Budget system, for a friend. Under 1K

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Zak, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Zak

Zak Active Member War Zone Member

Not sure if this can be done, but anyone know of a budget system for around a grand. 5.1 with a receiver for that price? A good friend of mine is moving into an appartment (finally got him to move out of his parents house at age 36) and he wants a nice system for movies. He's a huge movie buff so theater will be 95% HT to 5% music.

I was recomending either the Rocket package of the SVS system with a Pioneer receiver, the 817.

Thoughts?

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Sounds like a safe choice...can't go wrong with the Pioneer receivers IMO.

Is he cool with ordering speakers sight/sound unseen via online method (or are these local speakers too)??

3. Zak

He's been over my place a bit and said "I trust your pick, here is my credit card"

So, a bit of pressure but i know he'll be happy with just about anything.

I'm a bit peeved with Pioneer making their base receivers so much more capable as i would not have bought the Elite and went with a regular model.

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

LOL, its called progress. I paid $700 for a receiver that doesn't do what a $250 receiver will do today. :shrug:

5. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

Yamaha makes pretty good receivers also - I just got a 5960 and its pretty nice...

6. cjd

cjd New Member

I'd be inclined to choose the Rocket package over the SVS.

7. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

FWIW I helped my step son install a new system a while back. He chose the Pioneer 815, a 5-piece set set of Klipsch Quintet surround speakers and a Klipsch sub. Those and a DVD player all came in just at a grand, all purchased at a local electronics store.

8. Marc S.

Marc S. New Member

I will put in a plug for the Onkyo budget receivers. I have 2, two year old TX-SR502's connected to my mini-ht and my computer and really like them. I replaced a Pioneer with the first one and was impressed enough to get another.
    Just another option to look at. :D

9. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Onkyo recommendation ++

You should be able to get the Tx-sr505 for around $299. With 2 hdmi inputs, it allows for some future-proofness.

10. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Forgot to add that I am still quite pleased with my new JVC RX-D401S 7.1 digital receiver..small foot print, great features etc...Here's a rundown of it

[​IMG]

11. Zak

Went out and looked at the receivers and it's really down to the pioneers and the onkyo's. Just did not care for the JVC although i was really pulling for it but in the end I really like both the mid/lower level pioneers and onkyo's the best.

Speakers are still an issue. the AV123 set is a very nice deal at $800 for a 5.1 system. trying to put together a Paradigm system for that price is pretty much impossible as i'd like him to go with Atoms/ADP190/and the matching center. that is $700 right there. Not to many good subs for $300. the Rockets really seem to be a great budget setup.

12. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

There's a RAVING good review of the AV123 Xseries in HT Magazine this month.