1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Bug

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by stephenj, May 28, 2007.

1. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

ok so i braved wading through all the "pirates" and "shrek" moviegoers to see this movie, best described as a "psychological thriller".

since these types of films telegraph where they are going, one's enjoyment depends entirely on the execution. And Bug is executed quite nicely, thanks to the well-above-average acting performances turned in by ashley judd, michael shannon, and harry connick jr. .. they create the tense atmosphere that makes the movie worth sitting through.

plus even pushing 40, and dressed/made up in a most unflattering way, judd is still terminally sexy. sheesh.

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Ouch, that name alone always seems to be the kiss of death for movies...

3. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I've heard some pretty good things about this one, too. Definitely be checking out the DVD.

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

They should have waited till after summer to release this...critics thought it was fair/good, but it got completely obliterated by the big budgets shows...it only made $4.1 million and will likely fall off the map in a week or two.

Fall would have been a great time to snag some more folks once the big movies are done.

5. Tyson

Tyson New Member

It will come out on DVD in the fall, when all the summer movies are gone from the theaters and people are staying home more to watch movies. I'll bet it will do ok on DVD through word of mouth alone. Those studio guys got it all figured out. Well, most of the time.

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

True...DVD is about the only thing that can save some movies these days.....

7. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Actually it might be safe to say that the majority of movies that make it into theaters need DVD sales to recoup the movies budget. I'm guessing. I have no facts.

I'd be very curious to know if I'm right. I'll see if I can google the info.

8. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Bug had a budget of just over $3 million...made $4.1....may end up with $6 mil boxoffice...I image the marketing/advertising budget was next to nothing so when DVD hits, they will probably make a healthy profit.

:)

9. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I didn't realize the budget was so low. That is very low, especially for a movie with a few names in it. Wow.

10. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Hang on..I think I got the wrong number off Yahoo movies...they show that $3 million figure as box office take..on another database they show $4 million...I need to look again.

11. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

yeah.. good actress, sexy lady, but she's been in some abominable movies.