1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Building a dining room chandelier

Discussion in 'DIY Lounge' started by Ron-P, May 8, 2017.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

A bit of a different type of DIY project. I'm tired of our ceiling fan dining room chandelier that doesn't fit the theme of our darkages/castle theme we have going. Looking online and in stores, everything I like is well over $300. Such a joke when there's very little to these things. My idea is simple and something along the lines of this pictured below.

Instead of the single rod for support I will use black chain and make it 5 lights, and a bit more wood, maybe even incorporate some metal as well.

I use a lot of these types of Edison bulbs as well, all throughout the house. I love the warm look they give off and the look as well. Since going solar I have just about ditched all my led and fluorescent lighting, they just can't duplicate the look and feel of these Edison bulbs.

Chandlier.jpg

Mike likes this.
  2. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Active Member

Looking forward to your version. Mad skilz.

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Cool!

We're looking to do something similar, but more of a southwestern or desert theme.

5. Rick C

Rick C Member

Sounds like a fun project. I like that kind of lighting too!

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I'll post pics along the way. Hoping to get started tomorrow, bought all the parts today! I also have some parts shipping from Amazon as well...

7. Rick C

Rick C Member

IMG_3145.JPG IMG_3144.JPG I did this table lamp last week with some old stuff I had hanging around.

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Very cool Rick!

Yesterday I built the box, assembled the 4 lamp housings, mounted and wired them all up. They work! Today, going to do some distressing of the box, painting and hopefully stain it.

Light1.jpg Light2.jpg Light3.jpg Light4.jpg

9. Rick C

Rick C Member

Making great headway. Can't wait to see the finished project. Do you plan to use incandescent or led bulbs?

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I have black wire cages that will go around the lamps and I have 40 watt Edison bulbs I plan to use, so yes, incandescent. I wanted to use 5 but that would have been to big for our table so, like the pic above, just 4 lamps.

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

She's been stained. Tomorrow I will rub some black stain in spots and then clear coat. Ceiling fan is gone and I'll I need is some chain and a few misc. pieces of hardware and she'll be ready to light up. I may even incorporate a dimmer on the top just in case it's too bright but I'll do that last if need be.

Lamp5.jpg

12. Rick C

Rick C Member

Looking good!

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Thanks Rick!

Here's the final pic before she gets hung and lite up. Just waiting for the clear coat to dry...

Lamp6.jpg

14. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member

Nice work.