1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Buy or rent?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Pete Mazz, Jun 7, 2007.

?

Buy or rent?

1. Buy

100.0%
  2. Rent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member War Zone Member

I haven't bought into the either HD format yet but was wondering....

After years of strictly buying DVDs I've asked myself if I would do it again. Simple answer is no. After investing some $8000 in DVDs that mostly go unwatched, I don't see myself following down the same path with HD discs. I guess Netflix or similar is in my future.

I was curious how many others feel this way and what effect this will have on the studios looking to duplicate the DVD windfall.

Pete

2. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I primarily rent. Netflix has changed the game.

3. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

We evolved to almost full time renters. We only buy a handfull of blockbusters every year. That majority of our purchases go to our kids. We have acquired a monstrous amount of kiddie toons over the last couple years. Then again, they do a much better job at rewatching the same flicks over and over.

4. Tyson

Tyson New Member

When I do finally decide to buy a player, I do not plan on buying except for certain movies that I know I will watch a lot and some others that I simply must have in my collection, such as The Godfather I and II, Apocalypse Now, and Blade Runner, just to name a few. It will be a LOT less than what I have invested in standard DVD's, that much is for certain.

5. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

I too am in the rent-only category. I will occasionally buy a major blockbuster or something that can only be seen on DVD (such as the Extended versions of LOTR).

With Netflix and BlockBuster On-Line I just can't justify spending money on media.

Being a renter definitely made it easier for me to decide to buy into one of the formats. I got the 360 Add-On Drive. Even if it loses, I won't have lost that much money because I don't spend any on the media. I figure before the Format Wars end I will easily have got $190 worth of enjoyment out of the player.

6. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Member War Zone Member

I own just over 100 DVDs and there is a good chance that my yet to be started high definition disc collection will never reach that size. A few years ago my DVD rack filled up and rather than buy a new one I decided to sell off any title that hadn't been watched in six months or longer. That cut my collection in half. Since then I've limited my purchases to titles that are sure to get repeated viewings and I rent the rest. My limited purchasing strategy along with the fact that I won't be replacing many of my DVDs with high def transfers will limit my investment in whichever of the new formats that I end up buying. The only way that I'll end up with a massive high def DVD collection is if another dot com boom inspires me to order titles by the truckload :D

7. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

I suspect I will buy more. I do rent sometimes, but I like the spontaneity of owning.

8. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Blockbuster hates me. I'm one of those customers that gets throttled on a regular basis.

9. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I've been a renter from the get-go.

10. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I'm a buyer and while I own HD-DVD one of the reasons I don't have that many discs is the price. Since I buy almost exclusively, I'm not going to pay the @28 that Warner wants for its combo disc format. But if the price is reasonable (maybe a slight increase) I'll buy the HD-DVD.

11. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Ditto here.

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

$8000? That's crazy! I own maybe just over 200 SD-DVDs and about 20 each BD / HD-DVDs.

I most always buy, but only those that have a high rewatch factor. I have many, many dvds that should be worn out and they would be if they were VHS. Yes, I've bought a few stinkers blindly but that's ok, I most often will give those away.

I almost never do two things, go out to the theater or rent. If I don't buy it there's a very high chance I won't see it.

13. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Buy. There's just something I enjoy about watching my DVD profiler count climb, lol

14. RicP

RicP New Member

What's crazy about it exactly? $8k is only 400 DVDs @ an avg of $20 each. You've spent over $4k on software yourself. Why so judgmental?

I've been buying DVD since 1997 and have more than 400 that's for sure. The cost of the discs when amortized over 10 years of watching is nothing.

15. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I'd say my average purchase price is closer to $15 than $20. I almost NEVER pay $20 for a disk. That said, I own over 400 SD-DVDs as well. I will eventually buy more HD movies but never that quantity. I might see purchasing 10 +- a year...

16. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Both. She mostly rents the movies she wants and I mostly buy the movies I want. I have somewhere between 300-400 sd dvds and 31 or 32 HD DVDs right now. I went through my SD collection a month or so ago and got rid of about 100. Stuff that was free with the purchase of another movie or stuff that was on sale with a new release for $20 for both. That was my solution to running out of dvd storage. I don't buy many sd dvds anymore but there are a couple out there I want. I am thinking I may just buy them blue for when I get a blue ray player in a few months.

I enjoy buying, its my crack.

17. Chris Smith

Yeah, not sure what's crazy about that either. I'm probably at least double that.

18. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Based on the semi-outrageous prices of the new format discs I'd say renting exclusively makes the most sense, unless the movie is incredibly incredibly re-watchable.

19. Chris Smith

The only semi-outrageous prices that I've seen are on the Warner Combo HD-DVD disc. I won't buy them because of the price. Other than that there is a small (less that $5 on average based on my observations) premium for the HD disc.

Edit: - I don't know about Blu-Ray since I don't have a player, I haven't kept up. Some day ....

20. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I guess I should qualify my vantage point...

I ususally only buy new discs that are the kid movies (for our girl) and they are usually what, $15 new the first week?...Other than that I will buy used flicks of the stuff I like or await when places like CC etc have the 9.99 bargain days etc....

I used to go NUTS buying discs from late '98-around 2000...when the smoked cleared and we started a family, I sat down with my pile of mostly unwatched (or watched once discs) and said "never again"...so now we hit Hollywood Video or like I said MAY buy an occasional bargain disc...I think I buy maybe 2-3 discs a year now.