1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Cable? Dish? DirecTV? Tough to decide.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Chris White, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Chris White

Chris White New Member

I'm having a tough time deciding what TV and internet service to get for our new house. I have 3 HD capable TVs and 2 SD. Ideally, I'd like to be able to use a DVR with each TV.

Here are the choices:

1) Charter Cable TV
    Basic cable with HD tier, 3Mb internet, and an HD-DVR (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) costs $123 per month*. I could use a splitter to connect the 8300HD to 2 HD sets and use existing Replays with the 2 SD sets.

2. Dish TV + AT&T Phone + AT&T DSL
    Basic phone, 3MB DSL internet, Top 100+ w/ HD costs about $110 per month, plus $200 for the HD-DVR. Again, could use a splitter to connect the HD-DVR to 2 HD sets. I'm not sure what I'd need to have DVR available for the SD sets.

3. Same as option 2, but DirecTV. I'm guessing the prices would be about the same.

4. AT&T U-Verse
    With one DVR (and you are limited to one), the 200 channel service, and 3 MB internet, the cost is about $89 per month. This is the least expensive option, but I'm concerned about the quality and flexibility of the service. Plus, I wouldn't like losing access to DVR on my SD sets.

You may have noticed that options 1 and 4 don't include a phone. We don't need one and would get it only if necessary (DSL).

I'd sure like to get hear everyone's opinion on this choice.

* For comparisons, all prices are after any incentives expire.

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member War Zone Member

If you go with Dish, LMK. I have a 6000 (HD w/o DVR), a 921 (dual tuner HD DVR), a 721 (dual tuner SD DVR) and a 508 (single tuner SD DVR), along with 2 dishes and switch.

I switched to FIOS when I got tired of spending $thousands on equipment.

Pete

3. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

For what it's worth I'm very happy with the D*TV service. With the new MPEG4 channels, HD looks great (even if it is bit starved). I also really like their new HR20-DVR. I have two of them.

As for internet service, have you checked to see if Verizon FIOS will be available in your area? If it is, you should look into that. In fact, that might fulfill your video option also and you would get incredibly high speeds for your internet for basically the same price as DSL.

4. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Isn't DirectTV supposed to bump up to 150 HD channels sometime soon?

5. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Yes, they have two new birds that are going up which will give them capacity for up to 150 HD channels. That should be going into effect sometime this fall.

6. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I'd go with cable, I hear their going to be offering up to 600 channels in HD sometime in the future :D ;)

7. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

I can say that my experience with Time Warner Cable's television service has been awful. I've used them for broadband for quite some time and I'm fine with that. The cable though, ugh. The DVR is awful. Awful menus. Awful reliability. Awful usability. Awful feature set. The only thing I like about it is is dual tuners. I can't wait to get my DirecTivo HD DVR back up and running as soon as we are in the new house.

8. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

That right there is the perfect reason to just go OTA until it happens.

9. CJ

I was joking, its a play on the totally asinine DirecTV commercials. Everything on cable could be HD SOMETIME in the future. Advertising that you are going to have more HD content sometime in the future is beyond dumb IMO.

10. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Well, that's advertising in general for ya. :) That's actually not the part that I think is dumb though....it's the part that they kind of gloss over which is that they will have CAPACITY for 150 HD channels. There aren't anywhere close to that number of channels that are broadcasting in HD yet.

All that being said, I still love my D*TV.

11. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member

Dustin, one word: FiOS!

- Steve

12. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Pete: I'll definitely keep you in mind if I go with Dish. That stuff you have will be really cheap, right? :)

Troy: What does it add to your monthly bill to have two hd dvrs? That's one of the many things I can't figure out from their website.

Dustin: What dvr does TWC use?

Troy & Steve: I don't believe Fort Worth has Verizon FIOS. They have U-Verse.

13. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Has anybody here used a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD??

14. DustinDavis

I'm absolutely looking into that. Their web site doesn't say that I can get it when you go through the little availability-mabob. But I think that could be because the address basically doesn't exist, depending on which source you're checking. For example, some web map services can't find it.

I'm going to give them a call once I'm moved in.

15. DustinDavis

Don't know, lemme see if I can find it...

Not sure of model # or anything but it has "Motorola" and "Interactive Digital Communications" logos on the front.

16. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member

Thankfully they do have FiOS in the vicinity of the Gamma Quadrant of Sector 4. :)

- Steve

17. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

I'd switch to FiOS in a minute if it was available in my area. Oh well.

Chris, the only additional fee for multiple DVRs is the same mirroring fee as having multiple receivers. $5 for each additional unit.

So if all you had was 2 HD-DVRs you would pay your package fee, plus $5 for the second DVR, plus $6 for the DVR service.

18. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

I am about to make the same choice....

Direct TV and their HD Lite has already been ruled out. So has Dish with their no Center Ice.

I am thinking of Brighthouse Cable or Fios. For everyone that complains about Brighthouse, all I can say is I never had a problem with them and they mostly give me what I want to see.

I hear Fios is excellent but no Center ice but lots of HD stuff. I am torn.

Max

19. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

What is the no spin information on D*TV and their HD? I've seen their numbers (like 150) but not sure what it means. When they say 150, do they mean a market (say New York) will be able to chose from 150 HD channels (some sports, some network, some PPV, ...) or do they mean that 150 HD channels will be available across the nation (NY has 5 network HD channels, LA has 5 network HD channels, TX has 5 network HD channels, plus sports, PPV, movies, ...), and only some subset (say 30) of channels will be available.

20. CJ

Exactly!